𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 - 𝟎𝟕

I sat in the backseat, grinning from ear to ear as I thought of Raeni

"What's got you so happy back there?" Xavier turned her head to look at me as we reached a red light.

"I know. She's in loveeee with Raeni." Gabby dragged out, making smooching sounds.

"I am not! I only met her a week ago." I huffed.

That doesn't mean that I don't have a tiny crush on her though. It was hard not to develop one, the way she spoke to others, her personality, literally everything about her is beautiful.

"Righttt, I saw the way you guys looked at each other back there. I've never seen you look at anyone like that since Char-" Xavier stopped herself clearing her throat,

I went quiet, swallowing the lump that built up in my throat. "She didn't mean -" Gabby began to speak.

" I know."

They pulled up to my apartment after a few minutes of silence, I got out of the truck, saying my goodbyes less enthusiastic as I usually would. I decide to put the night to an end, taking a long steamy shower and doing my skincare before bed, skipping the nightly reading I always do.

☆ ☆ ☆

The 3rd and final alarm went off, and I finally gathered the strength to get up and get ready for work. I have got to stop going out at night on my off days.

The night before ended way later than I expected, causing my whole schedule to fall off. I like to have everything in place. If I don't do something exactly how it's meant to be done, I don't do it at all.

It took around 30 minutes to get fully ready. I decided to dress basic today, only putting on a black knit sweater, some flared pants and sunglasses. My hair was in a slick bun on the top of my head.

I walked out of my apartment, highly irritated. Since my schedule was thrown off, I didn't have time to get my coffee. I'm one of those people who can make it throughout the day without caffeine but I rather not put myself through that. On the way to the stairs, I get a text from Raeni.

Raeni <3
Hey pretty, did you have breakfast today?

Me
No :(. I woke up late and I can't stop and get anything without being late to work.

I didn't get a text back after that.

After walking to work and clocking in, I walk to the back and say hi to Al.

Al as in Albert Irmano, the owner of the store. He's had this place open for almost 60 years and it was still going on strong. It was a family business, his grandfather had it, then his father and now him.

"Ah , Good morning Dahlia." He said smiling, closing his book.

"Good morning Al, How was the store while I was gone? Did it get busy?" I sat my stuff down, walking over and sitting next to him.

"No, business seems to be getting lower and lower over the years," Al sighed rocking in his chair. "Young people are always on their telephones nowadays, relying on the internet for the latest 'info.' He teased.

I chuckled and grabbed a book from the pile sitting beside his chair. It wasn't a 'haha' chuckle though, it was more of a sad one. I felt bad for Al, he was kind of right. Everyone is so buried in their phones that they don't see the beauty of just opening up a book and using your imagination.

It's one of the reasons I started working here, I've always loved reading so why not? Al had always been so welcoming when I started to come here every day whether it was to buy a book or not.

As time passed, I noticed that barely anybody was working, so I asked Al to volunteer, refusing to take any money from him. It's been three years now and Al treats me like I'm one of his own.

"Have you had anything to eat this morning?" I asked, changing the subject. "I could get you something if you'd like."

"No thank you, dear, I had a bagel earlier. You go ahead and get to work." He gave a smile and opened up his book, picking up where he left off.

I nodded and walked back to the front counter, pulling out some paperwork to begin with.

An hour passed by, and I'd been so busy that I didn't even notice the bell on the door ring.

"Hey, you." A voice said from across the counter. I looked up to see Raeni holding a coffee and a small to-go box. She didn't.

"A pumpkin spice latte with extra cold foam, 4 expresso shots and a chocolate-filled croissant. Just how you like it." She winked, placing it on the desk.

Oh my goodness, she did." You didn't have to.." I said, slowly picking up the items with a small smile. It was so incredibly sweet of her to do that.

"I know I didn't have to. I wanted to, I know you got home late last night and I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes but blinking them away before they became noticeable.

"Nobody has ever done that for me before. Thank you." I placed the items back on the counter and went around to where she was, hugging her.

"You never have to thank me for something like that. It's just a simple act of kindness, that's all. Just say the word and I'll start bringing you coffee every day if you want." Raeni giggled, returning my embrace.

"The word."

☆ ☆ ☆

Raeni and I laughed and talked for a while as I ate my 'breakfast'. Nobody was in the store at the moment. It gets busier towards the middle of the day. I eventually kicked Raeni out because she wasn't going to buy anything and she was practically loitering.

The day flew by and I was now at home, in my bed finishing up the last season of Scandal. I picked the remote up, pausing the show when I got a call from Gabby. It wasn't the first time she'd called me today, after what Xavier said in the car I ignored every text, every call and every voicemail from the both of them.

I know it wasn't intentional but the topic of her who shall not be named is very sensitive to me. It hurts to think about it. On the fifth ring, I finally picked up the phone, not being able to speak before Gabby started.

"I'm so sorry! I don't know why Xavier said that. I already got on her about it, Please Dahlia, she didn't mean to let it slip."

"I-"

"Let me finish! Dahlia, please forgive us, well Xavier because I didn't say shit. Dahlia, we love you so so much and we would be- "

"I forgive you guys!" I cut her off before she could say anything else. I didn't want to hear all of this before I went to bed.
"Really?" I could practically see her smiling from behind the screen.

"Yeah, I know it was an accident. She didn't have bad intentions."

"Thank you, Dahlia, we love you."

"Love you too. Goodnight, see you soon." I said hanging up my phone. I placed my popcorn on my nightstand before flopping back in my bed. I skipped my nightly reading again tonight, I need to think. My mind went from the store to Gabby and Xavier and then to Raeni, who I smiled at the thought of.

I gasped at what had finally crossed my mind.
Raeni remembered what my coffee order was.