56: King's Fury

Seated within the opulent confines of the palace, the Eastern emperor, Sovieshu, fixed his dark eyes on Duke Trovi, a man who appeared burdened with a heavy secret

The air hung heavily, and Sovieshu couldn't help but notice the worry etched across the older man's visage.

As he observed the duke's hesitance to speak, Sovieshu's mind raced with apprehension. 'The presence of such a troubled expression can only signify grave news,' he surmised, his brows furrowing in deep concern. 'Could this be about Navier?'

In a composed but bewildered tone, Sovieshu broke the silence, inquiring, "Your grace, what has brought you here today?"

Duke Trovi, after a soft sigh, finally met the emperor's gaze.

"Your majesty, Navier has been missing for several days."

Sovieshu's eyes widened, his countenance darkening at the gravity of the revelation.

His voice trembled with a mix of disbelief and concern as he demanded, "How can that be?"

His thirst for answers was palpable, but Duke Trovi found himself faltering, his own sense of frustration and guilt weighing heavily upon him.

"I implore your assistance in finding her. Despite your divorce from my daughter, she holds a special place in my heart," the duke beseeched, locking eyes with Sovieshu, a potent blend of desperation and resolve in his gaze. "Emperor Sovieshu, this is the last favor I shall ever request of you."

The weight of the moment lingered, punctuated only by the emperor's stunned silence.

Yet, beneath his astonishment, there flickered a glimmer of pride, and a tantalizing thought took root in his mind.

'Even now, they require my presence in their lives, and Navier still needs me,' he mused, a smug satisfaction dancing in the recesses of his heart.

With an imperceptible scoff of self-assurance, Sovieshu finally found his voice and resolve.

"Thank you for telling me this, your grace. I shall make a move immediately to search for her and make her absence known to the people."

He turned away, offering the duke a sidelong glance before departing.

"I vow to keep you informed by any means necessary, Duke Trovi."

And as he strode purposefully away to undertake his mission, Sovieshu clung to the fervent hope that his efforts might pave the way to win back Navier's affections, despite his impending wedding to Rashta, scheduled a mere two weeks hence.

♕