1: The Invitation

Emperor Claude, adorned in a regal robe, walked through the hallway outside the Obelian palace, with his trusted knight, Felix, by his side

Emperor Claude, adorned in a regal robe, walked through the hallway outside the Obelian palace, with his trusted knight, Felix, by his side. The blonde man's countenance, usually stoic and composed.

They made their way through the resplendent corridor, lined with intricate tapestries and gilded pillars.

Golden accents glistened throughout the hallway, accentuating the regal atmosphere. From the elaborate gilded moldings that adorned the archways to the shimmering inlays on the marble floors, every inch exuded an air of luxury fit for nobility.

The soft glow of natural light filtered through tall, arched windows. The panorama outside revealed meticulously manicured gardens and sprawling grounds, befitting the splendor of the palace, with the vibrant colors of blooming flowers and the gentle rustle of leaves.

Silence hung in the air between the two men until Felix finally broke the quietude.

"Your Majesty, regarding the invitation for the New Year's party at the Eastern Empire... will you be accepting it?" inquired Felix, his gaze shifting towards the emperor.

Claude remained silent for a moment, contemplating the question, before responding simply, "No."

The knight was not surprised by his answer. After all, it was not in Claude's nature to accept invitations from other empires. In fact, it was a rarity for him to receive invitations for grand celebrations, and he always declined them.

"But, Your Majesty, this could be an opportunity to forge a bond with the Eastern Empire-"

"I don't want to establish a favorable relationship with an emperor who is incompetent and irresponsible."

The words hung heavy in the air, and he was also referring to the rumored actions of the Eastern Emperor, who has a mistress despite already having a wife.

"Although, the invitation came directly from the empress herself. Moreover, I believe the princess would like the chance to visit other empires, despite her very young age."

Claude paused in his stride, causing Felix to grow increasingly nervous, his brow glistening with perspiration.

"H-however, of course! I completely agree with you! There is no need to-"

"Athanasia is still very young, Felix. What she desires have limits."

"...yes, of course," the knight murmured, his eyes narrowing slightly.

A sigh escaped the emperor's lips as he reached up to massage his temple.

"Nevertheless, I suppose I must..."

Felix was taken aback, caught off-guard by the sudden change of heart. He blinked twice before giving a nod.

"Then I will get the servants to prepare your clothes for your stay there."