39: Ink and Emotions

Heinrey's eyes narrowed as he reached the last words of the letter, causing a mixture of emotions to flicker across his face

He let out a soft scoff, accompanied by a wry smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"It's about time she decided to grace me with a letter, after all these years," he muttered, a tinge of bitterness coloring his voice.

Artemis, the Grand Duchess of Polaris, was a woman of enigmatic nature and a complexity that often eluded easy comprehension.

Her multifaceted talents in various forms of magic made her a formidable individual, capable of achieving great feats.

She was known for her staunch independence, refusing to rely on others and carving her own path. There was a certain stoicism and coldness to her demeanor, which only added to the intrigue surrounding her.

Yet, beneath her icy exterior, lurked a shrewd and cunning mind, always calculating her next move with precision.

Artemis had always possessed a rebellious spirit, yearning for a life of her own choosing. Despite her royal lineage within the Western Kingdom, she found the constraints of her noble status stifling.

Determined to break free from the expectations placed upon her, she made the bold decision to leave her homeland behind and seek her own destiny within the distant lands of the Polaris Empire.

Her departure marked the beginning of a new chapter in her life-one that would ultimately lead her to ascend to the esteemed position of Grand Duchess in the Polaris Empire.

However, with this newfound role came the responsibility of maintaining her presence within the empire's borders, leaving behind the comforts and familiarity of her birthplace.

Heinrey, on the other hand, still held vivid memories of their last encounter. It was a joyous family gathering held in the Western Palace, where he was still a prince in his youth and Artemis was merely the daughter of a duke.

During those carefree days, they found solace in each other's company, often frolicking together in the palace gardens alongside their cousin, McKenna, who used to possess a shy disposition.

One particular memory stood out-the day they stumbled upon a swarm of butterflies gracefully dancing amidst the vibrant flora. Drawn to the enchanting display, they embarked on an impromptu game of chase, their laughter echoing through the air.

However, their relationship had its fair share of ups and downs, for Artemis's independence and coldness, and Heinrey's own ambitions occasionally clashed, leading to moments of tension and disagreement.

The letter from Artemis served as a bittersweet reminder of their shared past, a time when their lives intertwined and their youthful spirits roamed free.

"Artemis..."

That name lingered on McKenna's lips. It had been an eternity since he had uttered that name.