45: Bittersweet Farewells

With graceful steps, the secretary crossed the threshold of Heinrey's lavishly decorated office, his eyes immediately drawn to the sight of the king slouched in his chair.

The faint glow of the room's candlelight accentuated the darkened expression etched upon Heinrey's face as he massaged his temple with a weary hand, his elbow resting on the polished mahogany desk.

McKenna, intrigued by the puzzling countenance of the king, raised an elegant eyebrow, a gesture of silent inquiry.

"Is something wrong, your majesty?" he inquired, his half-lidded eyes brimming with subtle curiosity.

The words tumbled from Heinrey's lips, his voice tinged with a mix of frustration and sarcasm.

"Artemis," he mumbled, his lips curling into a small, mocking smirk. "She happens to be the messenger bird of my fervent love rival."

McKenna's countenance twisted into a bewildered expression, his mind grappling to comprehend the king's cryptic statement. What did he mean by a love rival?

The question perched on his tongue, escaping in a puzzled whisper, "Love rival?"

Heinrey, his frown deepening, reclined further into his chair, crossing his legs with an air of self-assuredness.

"Yes! She belongs to the same bird clan as us, remember? We're related, after all," he explained, his gaze averted to the side as if lost in thought.

The king's voice, tinged with a hint of deadpan, pierced the air. "However, she's more skilled at transformation magic so she could assume the form of any creature," he continued, his words accompanied by a sigh of resignation.

"Like a unicorn?"

A slight whine escaped Heinrey's lips, accompanied by a pout that creased his forehead. "You know they don't exist, McKenna," he retorted, his voice laced with mock exasperation.

A bead of sweat trickled down the secretary's temple.

"Of course, your majesty. I was merely joking..."

Collecting his thoughts, Heinrey resumed his monologue, his voice regaining a firm and resolute quality. "This turn of events must be a huge coincidence. I am certain she is aware that the other pen pal of the empress is none other than me."

McKenna, taking a step closer, towered over the seated king, his gaze fixed upon him, his expression a blend of curiosity and contemplation.

"Who is this love rival of yours?"

A pause enveloped the room as Heinrey's gaze bore into his cousin's eyes, assessing his sincerity. Finally, he leaned back, nonchalantly placing his arms behind his head, a slight smirk playing on his lips.

"Emperor Claude of the Obelian empire," he divulged, the weight of his words hanging heavily in the air.

McKenna's eyes widened, his jaw dropping in disbelief.

"W-what?! This can't be true. The very idea is preposterous. I find it hard to believe that such a formidable emperor would entertain the notion of pursuing a woman in such a manner," he stammered, his hands instinctively reaching for the edge of the desk to steady himself.

With an air of detachment, Heinrey responded, his voice devoid of emotion. "Unfortunately, it is true," he uttered, the weight of disappointment apparent in his words. "Why must he take an interest in my queen? I, too, had intentions of courting her!"

McKenna, his gaze fixed upon his troubled monarch, sighed heavily, furrowing his brows in deep contemplation.

"Empress Navier possesses both beauty and intelligence, your majesty. It is not surprising that others would be captivated by her charms," he voiced, attempting to soothe the king's wounded pride.