52: Embers of Conflict

Navier gracefully draped the necklace around her neck, her reflection in the mirror displaying an elegant figure adorned in a lavish gown.

Today, she had dressed up to visit the capital and purchase desserts for her departing brother as a farewell gift, as he prepared to leave for the borders.

As she secured the clasp of the necklace, a soft knock on the window drew her attention. To her surprise, she found Queen peering through the glass with solemn eyes.

"Queen?" She spoke the bird's name softly, taken aback by its presence. Curiosity compelled her to open the window and greet the eagle.

However, before she could say anything further, Queen swiftly wrapped its wings around her in a tender embrace.

Navier was momentarily stunned but soon relaxed into the comforting gesture, reciprocating the hug with gentleness.

Despite her growing distaste for the bird's owner, she couldn't deny the attachment she felt towards the magnificent creature. Her eyes closed as she absorbed the warmth and softness of Queen's feathers, cherishing the moment.

Meanwhile, a surge of emotions washed over Heinrey as he continued to hug her.

'If you can't love me as Heinrey, my Queen, I'll find solace in knowing I can still feel your love and affection as Queen.'

The sight of Claude's radiant smile sent a wave of concern and fear through the servants and even the knight in his entourage

They were accustomed to his cold and intimidating demeanor, making them question whether this was truly their emperor.

Amidst the grand estate they had rented for the emperor's stay in the Eastern empire, Claude and Felix strolled along an outdoor hallway. Despite the knight's perplexity, Claude's smile remained steadfast, causing Felix to sweat with confusion.

"You seem unusually cheerful, Your Majesty," Felix ventured to comment, his voice tinged with nervousness.

Claude glanced at his loyal knight and continued to smile. "Indeed, I am in a good mood," he replied, leaving Felix even more puzzled.

Unsure if he should probe further, Felix couldn't resist his curiosity. "If I may ask, why, Your Majesty?" he inquired, avoiding direct eye contact and sheepishly scratching his cheek.

Claude's smile wavered slightly as he deliberated on how to respond.

"It's because of Lady Navier," he revealed simply and directly, walking forward as his expression shifted. Felix was taken aback by the answer. Could the emperor truly be so infatuated with her?

In truth, Claude had spent the entire day exchanging letters with Navier, the former empress. She had agreed to entertain him and alleviate his boredom by conversing with her. The prospect of talking to her had lifted his spirits and brought that rare smile to his lips once again.