49: An Empire at Stake

A few hours ago, Claude and Athanasia savored their meal in the outdoor ambiance of the restaurant. The atmosphere seemed serene, but within the little princess's mind, a whirlwind of thoughts and revelations churned.

'He likes her...' Athanasia's mind echoed, her gaze fixated on her father, who seemed engrossed in his meal. The realization that her stern and composed father could harbor feelings for someone had caught her by surprise. She never fathomed that he would develop an interest in someone.

As the young princess tried to process this new piece of information, she couldn't help but steal occasional glances at Claude, her father.

His enigmatic demeanor and the air of authority he exuded always scared her, but now there was a new layer of complexity to him. She wondered what it was about Navier, the former empress, that captured her father's attention.

Unaware of his daughter's thoughts, Claude noticed Athanasia's scrutinizing gaze on him. He raised a quizzical eyebrow, his keen eyes locking onto hers with a hint of intensity.

"What?"

His sudden focus on her made Athanasia nervous, causing her to avert her gaze swiftly.

"N-nothing, daddy..." she stuttered, mustering a nervous smile, though her eyes narrowed slightly in contemplation.

Claude's penetrating gaze lingered for a moment longer, as if searching for something in his daughter's expression. However, he chose not to pursue the matter any further and returned his attention to his meal.

As the tranquil ambiance of the town enveloped her, Navier gracefully moved through the bustling streets, clad in a cloak that concealed her identity from prying eyes

As the tranquil ambiance of the town enveloped her, Navier gracefully moved through the bustling streets, clad in a cloak that concealed her identity from prying eyes. In her heart, she understood the necessity of this discreet approach.

'I must shield myself from unwanted attention,' she mused with a slight sigh. 'The last thing I want is to become the subject of gossip and uncomfortable stares.'

With a practiced gesture, Navier delicately lifted her hand and lowered the hood of her cloak further, ensuring her face remained veiled from curious onlookers. As she silently observed the various food stalls selling delectable treats, an unexpected and exuberant voice disrupted her solitude.

"My Queen, there you are!"

The joyous exclamation caught Navier off guard, and her eyes widened in surprise as she turned to face the source.

To her astonishment, there stood King Heinrey, his countenance radiant with a sweet smile, and a faint blush gracing his regal cheeks. The sudden appearance of the monarch in the Eastern empire left her momentarily taken aback.

"Your majesty? Why are you here in the Eastern empire?" Navier inquired, her voice a mixture of curiosity and wonder, as she regarded the king with an apprehensive yet curious gaze.