34: Strained

Having returned to the Eastern palace, Sovieshu found himself face-to-face with his concubine, who rushed toward him in a flurry of emotions

She threw her arms around him, seeking solace in his embrace, while tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Your Majesty... hic! I missed you!" she exclaimed, her voice trembling with sorrow as she buried her head against his chest.

Taken aback by her sudden display of affection, Sovieshu stood frozen for a brief moment. However, the unease from their earlier encounter in the carriage crept back into his expression, casting a shadow over his features.

"Please, Rashta, calm down," he urged gently, his voice a soft murmur.

"The Empress and I did not spend the night there, after all," he reassured her, attempting to offer a small smile as a comforting gesture.

As Rashta continued to sob in his arms, his gaze shifted toward Navier, who walked away from a distance, her back turned to them.

A slight furrow formed on his brow, a twinge of guilt tugging at his conscience. Yet, intertwined with that guilt, was a tinge of resentment toward Navier, creating a conflict that he struggled to reconcile.

As a few minutes ticked by, Navier found herself secluded in the solitude of her bedroom

Though the night had fallen, her responsibilities demanded her attention, and so she donned a different dress, determined to complete the remaining documents that awaited her.

Standing before the mirror, her expression was composed, masking the turmoil within.

With steady hands, she reached for a cloth and gently wiped away the tears that had welled up in her eyes. It was a small act, an attempt to regain her composure, yet it couldn't completely dispel the sting of her husband's hurtful words.

In moments like these, Navier's sensitivity surfaced, a reminder that even a strong empress had her moments of vulnerability.

She carried the weight of her responsibilities with unwavering grace, yet wounds would inflict upon her heart that could still leave their mark.