𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑇𝑊𝑂 ❀ 1

Summer started as it always did for Jasmine Hart. No friends, no fun, and not much freedom.

Sometimes she had to remind herself that she had friends. That she would be going back to Hogwarts on September first.

Her plan to fool her stepmother and stepsister into thinking that she could do magic outside of school had failed miraculously. Well, they had been petrified at first, but then Iris had found her letter that said she couldn't do magic outside school one week into the holidays, and stuff had plummeted since then.

The only thing keeping her going was a letter from James, one of her best friends. Iris had boarded up the small window in her basement bedroom so that no more owls could get through, but Jasmine had one letter. Just one.

And she read it constantly.

Hey Jasmine!

I hope you're summer's going okay - just tell me if the muggles give you any hassle at all and I'll make sure they never do it again!

Dad's still saying you can come for summer, so I'll be coming with him to get you as soon as he says it's okay. You'll love it here! And you'll get to see Alice and Fred - they're coming in a couple of weeks!

Hope I'm going to see you soon,

James

Jasmine constantly reread it, just hoping that soon, James would come and get her.

She hadn't managed to reply; Iris had heard the owl (which was quite curious) and had banished it from the house before Jasmine could attach a letter to its leg.

But today she was feeling the most lonely of all.

Today was her twelfth birthday.

And no one was there to celebrate it with her.

This time last year, she had thought the same thing, and then McGonagall had showed up at the door telling her she was a witch.

But this year, no such thing had happened.

With no letters from her friends and no cake, she felt very down.

And more so when she went upstairs.

Rebecca, her stepsister, had recently been accepted into a fancy new school. Iris had been so pleased, and Rebecca had bragged so much about it that Jasmine now knew every tedious detail of the stupid school.

But today, when she was feeling lonely, it really wasn't the time.

But, tonight was Rebecca's 'congratulations' party when all her friends were invited. Jasmine had only found out about this the day before. She had sighed when she found out. Of course Iris would plan a big party for her daughter on Jasmine's birthday.

Of course.

But, as now was only the afternoon, she knew she would be safe. So she headed upstairs to get some food before the party started.

Rebecca was there, though, and her two best friends, Audrey and Millie, who had also been accepted into the school. Tonight was for them, which Jasmine found ludicrous as it was her birthday.

"Mum, I just- oh, it's you," Rebecca looked up not to see Iris, but Jasmine.

"Yup, me," Jasmine decided to chance it with a sarcastic comment. "I live here too y'know."

Rebecca rolled her eyes. "Wish you didn't."

"Oh, the feeling is mutual," Jasmine muttered as she rolled her eyes, opening the kitchen cupboards and grabbing a snack from them.