𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑂𝑁𝐸 ❀ 10

Flying was what Jasmine was looking forward to the most at Hogwarts, and first years started getting lessons a few weeks into the term.

Which meant that that day, Jasmine was dressed in a red and gold tracksuit (as obviously, you couldn't wear robes on a broom), walking down to breakfast. She walked in just as a whole load of owls rained from the rooftop (every morning at breakfast all the post was delivered) but she was too busy thinking about the lesson ahead.

She had now fully researched the game of quidditch (by borrowing a book from the extensive Hogwarts library) and understood it pretty well. She had also talked a lot to Alice about riding a broom.

Her friend didn't actually like flying much. Sure, she had tried it before, but she wasn't so keen to get into playing quidditch. Jasmine, meanwhile, couldn't wait to get up in the air.

James and Fred were along with her, after growing up with both a mum and a dad who were quidditch fanatics and had played quidditch for their house teams when they were at Hogwarts. They both had good brooms at home, as well, but, being first year, they couldn't bring them. However, that didn't stop James talking about his stupid Firebolt Two.

"It's literally zero to sixty in like-"

"James!" Alice eventually butted in. "We get it! Your broom's amazing!"

"And your ego's rather large," Jasmine laughed with her.

"Is not!" James shouted.

"Is too!" Jasmine countered.

"Is not!"

"Is!"

"Is n-"

You see, Jasmine and James was a solid friendship, but they were quite competitive over a lot of things, and bickered a lot of over who was the best at little things. Jasmine was already coming to know the magical world well, and was quite smart in classes.

James, meanwhile, had grown up in a family of five witches and wizards, had played on broomsticks since he was one year old, and was good in his classes half the time without even trying. This irritated Jasmine, but motivated her all at the same time. Sometimes, she wondered why she was friends with someone like James, but she also knew that he could be kind and funny, so she stuck with him.

"Okay! Okay!" Alice finally shouted over the girl and boy shouting. "Just stop shouting."

James rolled his eyes. "Okay, so maybe I am a bit confident, but that's not a crime! Anyway, you haven't seen my broomstick."

"No, but I can imagine it perfectly in my head after all the yapping you've done about it this week," Jasmine shrugged. "Anyway, it doesn't matter. It's not the broom that makes a good quidditch player, it's just that; the player."

"Oh, someone's been doing some research!" Fred grinned. "D'you understand the rules now?"

"Yep," Jasmine said. "And the scoring, and the positions. That's why I want to start flying, so I can start playing quidditch."

James looked at her. "You can't. First years aren't allowed on the team."

"Well, except your dad," Fred shrugged. "He was the first one in a century, right?"

"Yeah," James muttered. "But I hope I could as well..."

Jasmine smiled slightly. "Yeah..."

James looked at her. "You haven't even played before!"

"You never know." Jasmine just shrugged.

After that was said, they ate their breakfast in silence before Jasmine headed out with Alice, however, she did catch a small part of Fred and James' conversation behind her.