014.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃─────⋅☾

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

EXCERPTS FROM THE SHADOW FILES:
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR SHADOW

CHRISTOPHER MCDOUGALL ONCE WROTE 'EVERY MORNING IN AFRICA, A GAZELLE WAKES UP, IT KNOWS IT MUST OUTRUN THE FASTEST LION OR IT WILL BE KILLED. EVERY MORNING IN AFRICA, A LION WAKES UP, IT KNOWS IT MUST RUN FASTER THAN THE SLOWEST GAZELLE, OR IT WILL STARVE. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU'RE THE LION OR A GAZELLE-WHEN THE SUN COMES UP, YOU BETTER BE RUNNING'

Shadow was running, from everything. From herself, her past, her future and her impending reality. But in this moment, she had to be faster than she would be while running from the rest, because she was being tailed by an entire group of assassins, ready to take her back to the island.

She had managed to travel away from Infinity Island and towards China, hoping to find some needed peace. She also chose the destination in order to train with whom she had heard were some of history's greatest hidden warriors. Without her armour or weapons, she could not face twelve men in simple hand to hand combat no matter how skilled she was.

She needed a strategy.

She had to be quick.

She had to...follow the old woman? She saw a woman on the base of a field gesturing for her to come forward and Shadow quickly ran forward and landed in an empty patch, scrapes bleeding, her clothing torn and her overall appearance disheveled. She had been through hell in the past few months and if this woman could provide her relief, she would take it. Though she was cautious, an old woman against an assassin was better than twelve against one.

"Come. Come" The woman gripped her arm and Shadow almost flinched at the foreign touch but let herself be dragged away. "Hide you must." She dragged her all the way to a secluded cabin near the edge of the mountains and once they were inside, she locked the door.

She sat down right in front of it and closed her eyes, muttering what Shadow believed was an incantation. "讓那些看到前面的人不再看到它。讓大地和空氣保護我們免受敵人和箭矢的傷害" [Let those who see what is in front, see it no more. Let the earth and air conceal us from foes and arrows]

"Traditional Chinese" Shadow muttered to herself as she stood up "You're a witch" She stated "You have habit to state the obvious?"

"No"

"Good"

"I am Mei Lien" Shadow eyed her wearily "You have name or...?" The girl sighed "Shadow"

"That is not very good name" She took her arm once more and forced her into a chair "Sit, you need heal and rest" Shadow shook her head and stood up "No, I must leave, I have a long journey and-" The woman placed a cup in front of her and her brows furrowed "Drink. It will heal you"