004.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃─────⋅☾

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

KEYS UNDER THE PURPLE POT, INTO THE LOCK AND...CLICK. Breaking into someone's apartment was far much easier when the security system was this pitiful. Shadow observed the dingy apartment. It was small, cold and lifeless. Exactly how it looked like two years ago.

She switched on the lights in the kitchen and carefully scoured through the cabinets, looking for the ingredients she needed. For someone who hadn't been allowed to eat anything that was remotely good, Shadow knew how to cook. She had learned that skill too. She didn't know why, but it was something that excited her, partly because the particular skill was taught to her in Italy, where she had also been learning the language of Mafia men and Italian grandmothers.

With everything found, she began to work her magic and soon enough the kitchen island had a display of the most wonderful foods. From pancakes to pasta, there had been everything one could think of and possibly more. She was quite proud of herself in that moment, patting herself on the back for a job well done.

She placed the pasta in a container and made a nice setting for breakfast and now leaned against the counter, closing her eyes resting for a moment. She heard footsteps in the hall and her eyes snapped open and she turned to the figure standing in the doorway "Morning. Breakfast?" She questioned monotonous "What the hell?" The figure spoke up, an arrow pointed towards Shadow who tsked "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Are you gonna kill me?" They asked and Shadow smirked "No, you wouldn't be standing here if I did" The figure nodded, lowering the bow and arrow before letting out a sigh "Good. Because, I am" She walked forward and wrapped her arms around the young girl who stiffened at the contact. The human touch was that little snippet of physical affection that brought a bit of comfort, support, and kindness. It didn't take much from the one who gave it, but it could make a huge difference in the one who received it.

Shadow hadn't been hugged in a long time, not as far as she could recall. Nothing could ease suffering like the human touch. She might've had skin next to her skin, but when was the last time she let herself be touched? She wasn't shown any affection, not by her parental figures or by anyone else for that matter and as she hesitantly wrapped her arms around the other girl, she realised she yearned for this feeling. Contentment, comfort. Acceptance.

"I missed you" They mumbled and Shadow had a gentle smile grace her face before it went away

"And I you, Artemis"

Artemis crock had been possibly her one true friend and last bit of sanity. She met the older girl when she was only six years old and she had managed to make friends with a very reluctant Shadow. From then on, the two had become close, closer than the people around them and provided each other the small sense of freedom and security that they hadn't been given. Two children from similar backgrounds who grew up far too early.