prologue

Easily weaving her way around the trails of the packed forest, she would find herself jumping over large tree trunks uprooted from the ground and pushing branches out of her face as she walked. Y/n was one to always go hunting for her sickly brother and for the rather small village. The people always relied on her for it since she was skilled enough ( even without a vision ) to be able to always bring back large boars along with medicinal herbs, flowers, ascension materials, blacksmithing materials, and among other things.

How she brings all this back? Well, she usually has all these small carts placed around the wooded area where she marks them with a map, and if she has too much for one cart, then she usually makes two to three trips in a day. But those multiple trips are on rare occasions or id the village is preparing for a harsh winter.

And since winter isn't coming any time soon and since the village is well stocked on food, today she was just planning on doing a small survey of the area to make sure there were no hilichurl camps sprouting up out of nowhere.

Because if one thing was for certain, a crisis was the last thing the village needed in that moment.

"Hmm, I don't really see anything unusual here. No hilichurl tracks either. Maybe I should check the west side of the woods next?"

Pulling out her map, she made sure to chart a quick course and make sure she knew where she was in order to do so. Though, as she did this, a stream of curses left someone's mouth just off to the side of her.

Ehh? Someone's all the way out here?

She thought back to when she left the village that morning. No other hunter had come out today. But .. she supposes that they could have changed their mind and made their way out here anyway.

But .. that didn't sound like anyone she knew.

You see, her village was rather small. Everyone knew who each other were, and keeping secrets were downright impossible since everyone knew your business and gossip.

And, y/n admits that there are a few adults who cussed like no one's business, but no one cussed like that.

Alright, think y/n .. it could be a treasure hoarder, an adventurer, or someone from the village.

What to do, what to do-

Her thoughts were cut off with a small yelp of pain and another string of curses and angry remarks.

Then again, this person seems to need help. Never turn someone away in times of need, y/n!

Steeling herself, she pushed past the dense forestry and towards the sound. Branches seemingly to like smacking her in the face as leaves got stuck in her hair.

"Who's there," the voice broke out suddenly.

Y/n wasn't exactly being discreet. Gaining a small bit of confidence, she pushed past the last few bushes as she entered a clearing. Her eyes looking around before spotting a man sitting on the ground. One of his boots were tossed to the side as both of his hands were clutching at his foot and ankle.

"Please don't be alarmed, sir. I heard you were injured and wanted to come help."

The man wore a mask that covered the upper part of his face, and he also wore clothing similar to a fatui military uniform. The sight of such clothing always sent anyone from
y/n's village into a small panic...

So yes, her village was all too familiar with the fatui. They were a quite frequent presence within the forest. But as long as the villagers didn't cause them trouble, then the fatui wouldn't do anything to them.

And for a moment, she thought she saw his lips quirk up into a tiny smirk for a second, before his lips drifted into an expression of slight pain and annoyance.

Was it her imagination?

It must have been.

"How kind of you, are you perhaps from the village to the east of here?"

"Yes, I am," she took this as a sign that she was allowed to get close to him.

Walking over and kneeling beside him, she was quick to look over his foot.

His ankle was definitely broken. The bone sticking out and breaking the skin. Blood seeming to seep from the wound profusely.

"I'm going to have to treat this back home.... can you wait for me a few minutes? I have a cart just up ahead, I can pull you in it."

He didn't take any time to give her an affirmative answer.

And as she stood up to trot off in the direction of where she knew the cart was. The fatui agent could only look at his broken foot and ankle. A little crazed grin etching across his perfectly sculpted lips.

"Worth it."