Chapter 37: The Phonecall

Summer's POV:
The whole room went deadly silent as the echo of Joe's slamming door rang through and settled somewhere. I got up to see the damage. The lens was hit with a sharp crack right through the middle whilst the main screen was totally shattered, shards where missing and I figured it wouldn't work anymore. I sighed loudly before picking up the only parts still in tact, revealing a pile of small shards of glass.
"What was that about?!" Zoe ignored Nala who was bringing her octopus toy and placing it on her leg and stood up, placing her hands on her hips in anger.
"Nothing, it was an accident," Alfie shrugged, as if breaking Joe's camera wasn't enough, he grabbed his iPad from Caspar and God knows what he planned on doing with it.
I continued to clear up the mess, placing everything back in the box it was in before which was badly dented now. "I think you need to go and talk to him," I shut the box and spoke to Zoë. Luckily, Alfie us put down Joe's iPad and wasn't planning on doing anything stupid. Caspar sat soundly on the chair, not speaking up which I suppose could've been a good think but all I could think about was what was rolling through his mind.
"Me?!" Zoë exclaimed, on the brink of laughing, "he won't take any notice of any of us, Joe's just like that," I had to agree with her. Joe was either: happy or sad, OK or angry, wide awake or extremely tired. There was no in between for him. "But your our best shot," my back straightened, me? was all my mind could tell me. Zoë walked over to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Can you talk to him?" She added. I couldn't understand how I was meant to be of any sort of help, like she had briefly explained, there's no middle and by the sound of things, he was angry. Very angry. I wouldn't want to add to that and make everything 10 times worse.
"I...guess," I mumbled, not really wanting to sound over confident in case I did a rubbish job.
"You'll be fine," Zoë giggled, clearly thinking it was all a joke. It wasn't.
I left Alfie, Zoë and Caspar (the silent one who was probably thinking up some evil plan that was soon enough be used to take over the world) in the main room and took 13 paces down the set of 13 steps, an unlucky start I suppose. I reached the door and knocked three times gently, it was a possibility that he hadn't even heard. I reached downwards for the door handle, pressing it down, the door opened just a crack.
"Okay, see you then, bye," Joe ended the phone call. I considered backing out and pretending I hadn't interrupted but at the moment I was about to take action, Joe turned around, jumping slightly at seeing me there.
"I'm sorry, I'll go-"
"Wait!" Joe reached out a hand, I gulped quietly and turned around. His voice sounded desperate and instantly felt sorry for him. I walked in and closed the door.
"Who was that?" I asked, my eyes glued to the markings on the wooden floor. Studying them closely. The question- although I'd thought about saying it beforehand- sounded a lot nosier than intended. A pang of jealously hung in my chest at the thought of him arranging a date, as stupid as it sounded considering we were going out...I suppose he never officially asked me to be his girlfriend but does it have to be that way?
"It doesn't matter," he mumbled, slumping down onto his springy bed. He placed his head in his hands and let out a troubled sigh.
"Are you sure? It didn't seem alright," the stupid side to me thought this was an appropriate question to ask but the actual sensible part of me knew this was just pushing what he was comfortable to talk about which currently, was nothing and I should've respected that.
"It was nothing!" He snapped, giving me a sharp-eyed look as if to tell me to shut up, so I did. A matter of moments passed before Joe spoke up, I'd didn't dare try to talk before him. "I'm sorry," he muttered under his breath, clearly still bothered by something.
"No I'm sorry, I was just trying to be helpful," I sighed, sitting down next to him and placing a hand on his knee reassuringly. Thank God for his inability to hold a grudge.
"I know, it was just Tiffany," a knot tightened in my stomach, rising upwards into my chest and preventing me from talking by catching in my throat. I'd never felt such severe jealousy, it was an unsettling feeling.
"Oh, um, what did she want?" I growled subtly, not wanting to sound rude.
"She was just apologising for the video," he placed a hand on top of mine which still rested on his knee. I couldn't help but think that something else was going on since Joe said he'd 'see her then' whenever then was.
"Then why do you have to see her?" My heart sank but my mind was on fire with anger.
"Oh, you heard that?" He laughed nervously whilst I nodded my head in an over the top motion. "She just wants to talk, OK? Don't worry, now I think I need to apologise to Alfie, what's the damage?" Although he seemed to be moving on the subject deliberately, I chose to let it go and the knot seemed to untie itself from wherever it had formed.
"Well, the camera is completely ruined..." Having to tell him this news made me feel like the person who has to tell someone when they've found a loved one'a body after they've been missing for years, it was that severe I honestly believed he was going to break out in tears.
"Ugh, he'll HAVE to get me a new one," he snapped, getting to his feet quickly. "Let's go," a hand reached out to me, I grabbed it and was assisted to my feet. Joe and I walked up the stairs slowly, I didn't want to know what sort of fight was going to start up between Joe and Alfie.
"Joe?" A female voice asked and wanted to punch something- anything- hard.
_______________________
Oh my Frickin' God, I don't even know where I'm going with this but it seems like such a good cliff hangeeerrrr!
~Self Praise and Promotion~
Anyway, yeah so I'm so thankfully for all you who are STILL awesome and supportive even though this story is getting cliché, I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to make this a long book or make it into more than one like have a series of 2 or 3, I may have to change the name too for that... At 40 chapters, I'm going to take a break and write out the remaining chapters so that it all goes well and then I'll update all in one go, wouldn't that be something?!