Chapter 36: SummerSunshine

Joe's POV:
"...now, the Summer sunshine must set and I'll see you tomorrow for a new video!" I flicked the power button down and Summer breathed a long, overdue sigh of relief. I was so proud of her. I know how my sister reacted to things before so got so confident going on stage and on camera, she used to get nervous, hot and stuffy. She'd begin to stutter and be stuck for words. Summer had some kind of anxiety and for me, she's just filmed a six minute long video with minimal stops and I couldn't be more elated.
"Oh my Gosh, I bet it was rubbish," she put a palm to her face but let out a cute laugh which followed. I began to watch Summer's adorable expressions at the beginning of the recording and couldn't help but smile.
"No, definitely not rubbish!" My phone vibrated in my pocket and it was a text from Alfie:
'Be back soon!' It read. The confusion hit me like a ton of bricks (very heavy bricks) but as I scrolled down, there were texts about a minute apart saying that Nala got out the front door and they had just caught her and obviously, now they were on their way back. Throughout the whole filming, my mind had been so focused on how Sumer was doing that I never even considered the fact that they were no longer in the apartment let alone standing by the sofa and filming equipment anymore, staring down at us.
"Who is it?" Summer must've seen that I'd been staring at the phone for several seconds, allowing time for my small brain to work out what was happening and wondered what was the matter.
"It's just Alfie, Nala got out and they are all trying to find her," I scrolled down the list of about seven texts and came across one from Tiffany. Ever since the video of me had gone viral, I had no intention of seeing her. Now- of course- I'm dating Summer, there's no intention for me to cheat on her anyway and Tiffany just isn't my type.
"Oh, alright," she paused and then I went back to sit next to her, "do you think we need to talk about Caspar?" My mind instantly wanted to make a joke, but I knew I needed to answer seriously. The gears in my mind began to turn at a million turns per second and chose for me.
"Well, I hoped we could do this relationship without him," I raised an eyebrow but Summer didn't laugh. I heads a mechanical click in my mind telling me that it wasn't right, "sorry, I suppose we should. It's not going to be easy, I mean, I don't know about you but this relationship might be the one that sticks," it did feel odd saying those words. Considering the whole of my life I had only have short-term relationships, this wasn't something I'd felt or said before.
"Me too, it's just something different but Caspar is going to have to be OK with it, otherwise..." Summer looked at her hands on her lap, I reached out a hand and put it over the top of her fidgety left hand. Stopping it. "He's not going to understand," she shook her head.
"He'll have to, he had his chance and he blew it!" She looked up at me, her wide, blue eyes burning into mine, melting me inside to out. "And if he doesn't, we don't tell him," I gave my signature smirk once again and she gave a grin, it was as if to tell me shut up Joe, I'm meant to be sad. Don't make jokes now! She gave me a nudge and I bounced back and forth on the sofa.
"We're back!" As the moment was tragically shattered, Alan came bounding in followed by the shutting of a door and an angry looking Alfie. Zoë just slumped into the floor and began to tease Alan with one of his toys.
"What happened?" Summer asked, kneeling down to play with Alan. She began to cuddle the adorable pug that just scrambled in her arms to reach his octopus.
"Oh, she just ran out of the door," Alfie- despite sounding quite casual about the whole situation- looked red, hot and annoyed as hell.
"Oh, well I suppose we'll have to keep it shut, won't we? Yes we will!" Alan rolled onto his back and Summer began to tickle his tummy. I began to pack up the equipment when Alfie came over to me.
"Joe-" He started but quickly gestured me over to the kitchen counter, obviously so the girls didn't hear us talking.
"What's up?" I asked, placing two cameras gently on the marble counter, you know what they say on the front of boxes filled to the brim with wine bottles or drinks glasses, 'FRAGILE, HANDLE WITH CARE!' well, that's how I felt about practically anything I owned with any sort of value: Physical or Mental.
"You and Summer, are you just going to hurt her? My sister seems to think you two are well suited but I can't help thinking this might end up like your old relationships," I mentally tutted at Alfie's use of father like words. Summer and I, we were both adults. We didn't need two people (no matter if they are older Han us or not) telling us how to live and how to love when honestly, stumbling upon each other was coincidental when Zalfie first met. None of it was planned whatsoever.
"We'll be fine," I snapped angrily, "I just helped her make her very first YouTube video, she's a natural," I shut the box to the camera with a click, I took the issues of dust, scratches and potential Caspar-left splodges, very seriously.
"You introduced her to YouTube?" Alfie snapped, anger rolling from the tip of his tongue.
"Yes, why is that bad?" I crossed my arms after lining the box edges up with the side of the table, OCD beginning to show. Alfie had his arms out at either side, issuing a 'why' gesture to go along with his argument.
"YouTube's a risky business, I just don't think she's up for it. Besides, she's got history with Caspar and now you, she'll only get popular because of that, there's no way she can do this on her own. You watch, the hate will come rolling in and you'll fill that tang of guilt in your chest for what'll happen. I've seen it before. Their worlds come tumbling down before their eyes, just you wait," Alfie slid his right hand along the table, knocking both box and camera to the floor in a doomed ending. The sharp shatter of the screen on the floor sent shivers up my spine.
"F*ck you Alfie Deyes!" I cursed, pushing past him and walking down the stairs, slamming and locking the door behind me. Of course, not before the deafening slam.
_______________________
So who likes SummerSunshine? Ugh, if only that was a real channel!
Ugh, anyway, even though it was all going well...something had to happen didn't it!!!