Chapter 10

I blew a piece of hair out of my face, and tapped my foot on the concrete, gum covered steps. It was a gray colored day, and it was rush hour in Chicago. Coffee and smoke filled the air, so did car honks. I checked my watch then my phone. Supposedly Kat had notified me an hour earlier telling me to meet her here. And that she had taken the quickest flight to Chicago.

I never knew why though.

She was the girl that was full of surprises. Never explained things either.

"Emma?!" Kat's voice was probably heard through the whole Illinois city. I caught her neon green coat through the crowds. I waved and smiled. She ran up to the stairs and gave me a huge hug. Her eyes were sparkling, full of excitement. Kat linked arms with me.

"So, how you been?" She chimed.

"Hm, good I guess. The apartment, I suppose?" I asked, scanning the streets for a taxi.

"Why not?" She laughed. We grabbed a taxi and conversing on how life in Oregon is for her.

* * *

"This is it," I smiled, turning the door open. Kat's jaw dropped. I laughed and hung up my coat.

"This is amazing!" She gasped, clutching her Jansport backpack straps. I giggled and flipped off my shoes.

"Well, technically its not mine," I said, walking over to the kitchen counter. "Want anything to drink?" I asked, opening up the fridge.

"I'll have spring water," Kat requested, walking around and looking at each of the photos of Jon around the living room.

I arched one of my eyebrows. "Spring water? Okay lemme just head to the nearest spring, I'll be back in a second," I replied sarcastically. She looked at me and frowned.

"Fine, Melted ice cream,"

"I'm just going to give you water," I ignored her, filling a glass half up with tap water. I set it down on the counter with a chime.

Kat flipped her hair back and took a sip of her water.

"You've gotten quiet,' I observed, tapping my chin. She shrugged.

"Soccer gets to you after awhile," Kat held her hand to her mouth and yawned. I heard the front door open and close.

"I got some milk!" I heard Jon shout. Jon walked in and stopped, wearing a Cubs baseball cap and holding a brown bag. I laughed at his blank expression

"I see we have a guest here," Jon said, as Kat turned around on the wooden stool to look at him. She waved and turned around facing me. Jon set the bag on the counter.

"Kat this is Jon, Jon this is Kat," They both waved again. Kat turned to me and mouthed, 'Dayuuum'. I rolled my eyes, and shoved the milk in the refridgerator. Jon had shuffled his way out the door, because he had morning practice then a game. He stopped dead in his tracks.

"You'll be at the game?" He asked, his brown eyes sparkling.

I nodded. "Oh yeah I will," I said smiling, putting my hands to my hips. He cracked a grin and shook his head. He closed the door after him.

"This is your life right now?" Kat asked, shaking her head amd sipping water.

"Yeah, until two weeks from now. I might go back earlier, though. I feel like I need a head start on this 'Medical' stuff," I said, grabbing a mug and filling black tea in it. She nodded as I poured sugar in the blue cup.