Chapter 27 - World Cup

No One's POV
The group stages were off to a bit of a difficult start for the Lionesses as they struggled to find their groove in their games against Denmark and Haiti where they only won by one goal but soon found their rhythm against China in a 6-1 victory.

England v Nigeria 0-0 (4-2 pens)

England v Columbia 2-1

England v Australia 3-1

The Final
England v Spain
Leah's POV
Staring down the tunnel this is it this is the match. The game that'll define us the Lionesses. The last match... the world cup fucking final. I look over and see the captain for Spain Olga Carmona. My feel my nerves get to me as my hands begin to shake. I let out a shaky breath and I feel a hand on my shoulder. I relax when I feel y/nn squeeze my shoulder softly.
"We got this babe." She says and I smile. I put on my game face and we walk out the tunnel. We're playing in a world cup final. The starting eleven is
y/n y/ln
Lucy Bronze
Leah Williamson
Millie Bright
Alex Greenwood
Georgia Stanway
Keira Walsh
Ella Toone
Alessia Russo
Lauren Hemp
Lauren James
"Let's win this thing girls!" I yell.
"Yeah!" All the girls respond. We all run out to our spots and y/n jogs next to me. I stop at my spot and she stops with me.
"Deep breaths bella. I love you." She says.
"I love you too princess give them hell." I say and she hugs me before running to her spot. I watch her do little jumps on the goal line and stretch a little. I smile to myself before turning my attention back to the game.
The whistle blows for the start of the match. I watch the ball get passed around upfield, the game progresses slowly but soon I watch Spain come charging down field. Bonmati has the ball which ends up at the feet of Caldenty who's enter the box. I go up for a challenge and take the ball in a well time tackle and quickly pass it to Lucy who takes the ball up the wing.
"That's my girl!" I hear y/n yell.
Hempo has the ball after Lucy crosses it in, she goes low and left and Coll saves the ball. The ball gets distributed to Ona who passes the ball to Hermoso, the ball breaks through our midfield and ends up at the feet of Paralleulo who passes Millie but fouls Mills in the process. Paralleulo shoots but y/n saves it as we all yell at the ref for the foul. The ball is brought back to where Mills was fouled. I take the kick passing the ball to Georgia who is able to find a through ball to Less who takes the shot that is deflected giving us a corner. I'm in the box for the corner and Alex sends it in. The ball bounces off players before landing at my feet, I take the shot but it gets saved. I groan running back to my position. The ball ends up in our possession and Georgia goes for a shot outside the box and it hits the bar. The ball goes down our wing and the ball gets crossed in by Caldentey and deflects of Paralleulo, it lands at the feet of Redondo who takes the shot but y/n blocks it. In the 29th minute Lucy gets dispossessed by Caldentey who passes to Carmona who takes a low shot towards goal. I watch y/n dive to save it but the shot was just wide enough of her reach and slips past her into the net. Everyone's frustrated especially y/n and Lucy.
"Fuck!" Y/n says as we move to reset play. I run up to her quickly.
"Bubba look at me, it is not over yet and that was not your fault. Head in the game babe we got this." I say and she nods at me. Half time could not come any slower. Since the goal Spain has maintained possession and have had multiple shots on goal. Luckily they have no scored thanks to shots going wide, hitting the woodwork or being saved by y/n. The whistle blows for half time and we all head to the locker room for the half time talk.

y/n's POV
We go over tactics in the changing room and I can feel the tension in the air.
"Girls! It's been one half, yes we played like shit but this second half is a new start a clean slate so let's go out there and show them how the English do it!" I say before we head out.
"Come on girls let's win this." Le says. The spirits we a little higher as we left the changing rooms and headed back onto the pitch. Sarina makes some substitutions putting in Rachel Daly in for Less and Chloe in for LJ.
In the 66th minute commotion happens in the box and the ball hits Keira.
"REF HAND BALL!" Yell the Spanish. Leah and I quickly walk over to Keira who is being pushed around for the hand ball. Lucy quickly steps in between the Spanish player and Keira.
"That wasn't a hand ball." I say to the ref. The play goes to VAR, I look over and see Lucy trying to calm down Keira. We all wait as the ref goes to watch the play back.
"The decision is penalty." The ref yells. I watch all the girls visually deflate.
"It's all right girls." Leah says. I get in the line and shake out my nerves. I see Lucy distracting and getting in Hermoso's head as she walks up to take the penalty. I step on my line and let out a deep breath. I look over at Leah and she mouths you got this. I exhale and shut my eyes. I open them and the ref blows the whistle. I watch Jenni step back and she goes for the shot I dive low and left. I feel the ball hit my arms. I quickly dive on top the ball and hold it to my chest. I did it I saved it. I get up and see the girls running over to congratulate me.
"Let's fucking go!" I yell.
"Thank you y/n." Keira says.
"Not a problem Kei let's win this thing." I say.
It's the 76th Chloe takes a shot and it slips in right under the crossbar hitting the back of the net it's 1-1.
"FUCK YEAH!" The entire English back line yells.
In the 80th minute I watch Alex go down. I run over with Lucy and Alex is bleeding. We wave medical over.
"ALEX NEEDS SHORTS!" I yell at the bench and Lucy yells too pointing at her shorts. We take water and wash Alex's hands which were covered in blood. The med team bandages her head and Alex decides to carry on. Someone runs over with shorts and Alex runs off to go change. She comes back and play resumes.
The game goes back in forth until we reach extra time. We had so many good chances but we eventually go to penalties.

No One's POV
Georgia Stanway steps up to the spot hands on hips she runs up to the ball and buries it in the bottom left corner.
1-0
Olga Carmona steps up and y/n saves it.
1-0
Ella Toone misses the ball is saved by Cata Coll.
1-0
Jenni Hermoso scores top left out of y/n's reach.
1-1
Rachel Daly shoot top left and scores.
2-1
Salma Paralleulo shoots bottom right and y/n saves the shot.
2-1
Alex Greenwood shoots left and the ball goes wide.
2-1
Mariona Caldentey shoots and the ball slips past y/n's gloves.
2-2
Chloe Kelly shoots powerful shot bottom right and scores.
3-2
Alexia Putellas steps up to the spot and she shoots the ball top left and scores.
3-3
Lauren Hemp steps up scores Cata Coll dives right and Lairen shoots straight down the center.
4-3
Aitana Bonmati steps up to the spot and shoots bottom left just out of y/n's reach.
4-4
Lucy Bronze steps up to the spot and shoots right and goes low. Cata Coll dives left and Lucy scores.
5-4
If y/n saves this England wins the world cup...

Teresa Abelleira steps up to the spot, y/n is on the line. The whistle blows and Abelleira shoots to the right. Y/n dives...