6

janae.

i didn't mean to lash out at sergio like that, mom was just giving me attitude.

i just wanted to know if she was home and she wanna talk about 'you don't know for what why you don't know if i'm not home or not' and shit like that, going on a whole rant on how i don't know anything about my surroundings.

but maybe it's just that i just didn't care.

and it was all in a audio message too, so i got all that attitude i wouldn't get in a text.

i heard the doorbell ring and practically ran down the stairs. nobody was home, only me. thank God.

i had an older sister, jenny, in cuba, she was in her second to last year in medical school, making her 27 since cuba's medical school was longer than americans.

then she had a five year residency since she wanted to be a radiologist..

i didn't wanna be a doctor cause i felt like i'd waste my life just in school. that's why i'm settling for dentistry.

and i had a little brother, jory, who was at school. he was 7 and always in his after school program since my parents came home later than his bus came and my parents are still refusing to buy me a car.

i loved him and jenny. they made me like being myself. me and jenny were pretty close despite she lived in another country and the seven year age gap and me and jory were just as close.

even though sometimes jory would just get on my last nerves. especially when mom babies him and expects me to do the same. like no i'm not wiping his ass..

i opened the door and saw sergio at the door, easily towering over me. i hated being so short.

"hi," i said, waving. he had a mean ass mug on his face that faltered a bit.

"no janae, keep that same energy," he told me, going past me in my own house. rude..

whatever. i went upstairs and heard him following me so i didn't stop. i went in my room, leaving the door open for him to get in.

"can you climb down a tree?" i asked. if one of my parents or both came before he left, best believe he'll be goin down that tree.

"yeah." he laid on my bed as i went to my bathroom, where my supplies were and my music.

no kizzy by rob49 played as sergio got up and followed me, ducking a bit to get in the bathroom.

"so?" he asked expectantly.

"youre gonna help me."

"aight."

i parted two front sections of hair on one side of my head, my ear and back. i did the same on the other side before starting to cornrow them.

"call me when you need me mami, i'm going back on your bed."

"nigga wait." i grabbed his arm so i could redirect him to the bathroom. he rolled his eyes and gave me a side eye but still stayed in the bathroom.

"mkay, i'm going to our gel on here and you brush it back and hold all in your hand for a ponytail," i told him as i lathered my hair in eco.

he got up and stood behind me, waiting for me to finish. when i did, he held that shit so tight my head was being pulled back a little.

at least i know my hair is gonna look good for a while until i get braids again.

he put the two hair ties on it, wrapping them tight so they wouldn't get out. i looked at my hair in the mirror, turning to make sure my hair looks good.

"i did good?" he asked, looking at us in the mirror. this damn height difference is killing me, i never thought i was that short to be honest.

"yup." i put my bonnet on my head and then went back to my bed to lay down and watch tv until mom came. or i could cook something.

i was hungry, but i didn't wanna waste any more money on fast food. i was getting real close to buying my car so i didn't wanna waste any money

and we didn't have any more leftovers and it was pretty late so mom probably already got food for jory.

i doubted she got any for me. and dad probably already ate too.

i'll just make spaghetti.

"sergio." we were both watching daybreak after i  begged him to watch it. i loved this show but they cancelled it for no reason.

"yeah?"

"you hungry?"

"mm kinda."

"you want spaghetti?"

"sure."

"i'm putting hotdogs in it," i stated. i loved hotdogs and this was haitian spaghetti, hotdogs were essential.

"okay." he still kept his eyes on the show. i rolled my eyes remembering the fight he was putting up cause he said it sucked.

"um you gon help me." i told him. at least i wasn't being so cutesy anymore.

i guess i got comfortable real fast.

"mmcht. i'm the guest."

"nigga i'll grab you by those chains if you don't get your ass up."

"mmcht." he got up and follows me downstairs. i felt his eyes on me the whole time we were going to the kitchen.

definitely looking at my ass. i knew it was fat. well i was the one who invited a man into my house.

i invited a man i barely know into my house.. ugh