Prologue (A slightly Doofenschmirtz like backstory)

You didn't want to move, but here you were. Your parents had found a place in suburban Danville and this is where you would stay until you could move out. It was awful. Sure city life was no better, but at least you had opportunities back in C/N. Here, all you could look forward to is getting a minimum-wage job just to move out and into a cheap apartment in downtown Danville. The only good thing to come from that is having to pay rent for worse living conditions.

Parents, yeah right. Like they were good 'parents'. Sure it was an honer to be raised under their roof, but at this point your dog is a better parent. Half the, scratch that, ALL the time, your parents used you to earn money. And when you weren't, you were cooped up in your room. The same one you shared with your true family (aka an adult cat, a litter of kitties, and a dog).

"Hey Milo, are you alright," you asked your pet cat, well mostly yourself, but it always seemed like he understood. (yes, I find it funny that when I searched up cute cat names 'Milo' came up and I felt obliged) In response the furry little fella rubbed against your legs. Being a single dad must've been tough, but what would you know. He settled against you as you climbed into a sleeping bag.

You wondered what it would be like to just leave. At this point you were sure you could just prance right out the window and never see them again. To be fair, this was the first time you had a window so maybe that's why you hadn't thought of this before.

You decided to get up and unpack. You hadn't even gotten food out for everyone! Making that a priority you looked though boxes for the cat and dog food. "There it is," you mumbled taking them out. Along with bowls for the litter, Milo, and Eli. As soon as the kitties heard the bag come out they started meowing. It was so cute! Milo looked content watching the little ones munch. You poured some out for him too, and then got the next bag for Elizabeth. 

She was a big fluffy Newfoundland, you might add motherly to that list of adjectives because she definitely was. She even prepared simple meals for you sometimes! And while you couldn't understand a single bark she said, you knew she was always worried for your safety.

This was the best family you were given and you wouldn't give it up for the world. Eli snuggled up next to you and- "Hey, where's Milo?" That cat always knows how to sneak out of situations. The same happened at your old home, but he always came back by the end of the day.

Deciding to just let it be, your mind wandered elsewhere. It would be hours until your 'parents' came back home. Who knows, it could be days until they checked up on you. Since you weren't in the mood for starving the next three days, and because you were curious you decided to test your luck. Opening your window, you slipped out of the room.

It seemed to be sometime in the morning as the sun was shining as bright as possible. Was it wrong to like the winter better? Because you did. You watched passerby and hoped you looked alright. To tell the truth you had never really seen yourself before. That sounds insane, but it was true. A minimum wage job doesn't really include 'look at oneself in a mirror," in the description. All you had seen of your face was distorted images in windows. While you could easily just look in a mirror at a store, after years of ignorance you decided to just stick with the information you had: e/c eyes, s/t skin, and h/c hair. That's it, no need to take more than a glance at a mirror just to find out you looked horrible or something.

Now that you thought about it, what were you going to do? You hadn't done much about that. You were out of the house, but now what?

Immediately, you were snapped out of your thoughts. Grinding and banging noises filled your ears. It wasn't that bad though, sort of a hum in the back of your mind. Was there construction going on around here? That's when you had the idea to turn to your left, where the sound was coming from. And that's when you saw what the neighbors were doing...

757 words

"HEY!!! This is my first story, and while it doesn't make much sense now, I have a question for you! Are you legally a dog or cat in this story ;)?"

-Coffee