𝕶𝖆𝖊𝖞𝖆 ⟡

T/W: Medical procedures and mention of the whip

⁜※⁜

It was late when the knock sounded on the door. Of course, I was awake, but being dragged out of my focus session was, well... irritating, to say the least. I slipped to the front room, tearing out the hairband I used to hold my hair up. It was tight—it had to be, lest some hair got mixed in with some medicine. I cringed at the thought. Of course, after long focus sessions such as this, holding my hair up for too long proved to be uncomfortable.

I reached the door, unlocking it before turning the handle. I was greeted with a tall body and stern face that seemed somehow strained. The eyepatch covering his right eye was somewhat unnerving, but he did not seem to present any danger. His left eye roved over my body, as if assessing me. ".. Can I help you?" I asked.

"I need some supplies."

"What kind?"

".. Just some medicine."

"You'll have to be more specific than that."

"S—salve... and some bandages."

I looked him over. "Why? Did you hurt yourself?" I knew I created medicine for a living, but this was Springvale. There wasn't much to get hurt over unless you went hunting. I examined him once more. He didn't look much like a hunter to me—at least, not in the traditional sense.

"I—it doesn't matter." He offered a cocky grin, as if trying to diffuse the tension in my body. "The materials, please." I stepped out onto the landing, circling him. This seemed to surprise him, as he asked, "Wha—what are you doing? Stop it."

"I have an obligation to check for wounds—especially when one asks for medicine."

"I don't need your help, so leave it."

"If you're hurt, you need to come inside."

"I'm fine on my own."

"Sir!" I said with a forcefulness in my tone. "If you would please listen to what I'm asking of you—"

"I said I don't need your help! All I need is the medicine."

I scowled. The sheer male arrogance emanating from this man... He was confident—proud.

It was then I noticed his hand lingering near a certain spot on his side, trying to hide the fact that it wasn't exactly in a relaxed position—and failing to do so. I lunged for his cloak, lifting it despite his cries of protest. And I saw it. I sucked in a breath through my teeth, grimacing. "Ooh... That's bad."

He shoved his cloak back down. "Will you stop snooping around?" he snapped.

I stepped back, my palms pushed together as I once more attempted to argue my point. "You need... a healer," I said, slowly, calmly. "Your easiest option would be to go to the church."

"Maybe I don't want to go to the church."

"Why?"

"Just—because."

"Why?" I pushed again.

He hushed me. "Listen... I just need... the medicine."

I lifted my brows. Why seek medicine when you could just go see the Deaconess and be healed? The situation seemed largely suspicious, especially accompanied by the vague explanations I was being given. "Who are you?"

He offered a smug smile. "Kaeya, Cavalry Captain of the Knights of Favonius, at your service." He sketched a bow, trying to hide the twinge of pain he felt as he stretched and contracted his muscles. Though he wasn't doing a very good job. Even if my eyes weren't as keen as they were, I probably still would have noticed.