𝕽𝖆𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖓 🗲

A/N: Spoilers for the Inazuma Archon quests and references to Raiden's story quests. Hope you enjoy :)

⁜※⁜

Something in the air was different that day. I did not know what. Considering Inazuma's tendency to deter change, it was certainly startling. True, the Almighty Shogun's idea of Eternity could not be pursued—not in the way she wanted—but this change in the atmosphere... It was too different.

It was then I realised the buzz of the marketplace above was quiet and still—far from its usual hustle and bustle under the midday sun. It was almost... unnerving...

I considered going up to check what in Teyvat was going on but decided against it, the Dango Milk clutched in my hand too enticing for me to move from where I was stationed on the wall, my legs dangling off it, unable to touch the ground. It had taken considerable effort to hoist myself up there in the first place—I sure as heck wasn't coming back down.

I took a sip, arching back slightly and closing my eyes as I indulged in its taste, savouring every bit of creaming liquid as it raced across my tongue and down my throat. I admit, I was not usually one for sweets... but this...

"Is that... Dango Milk?"

I lowered my cup to gaze at the person who stood below. My eyes widened considerably and I almost choked. One moment, that space was empty—the next, the Raiden Shogun stood there. I was so startled I dropped my cup of Dango Milk onto myself, the last remnants of the sugary liquid coating my shirt. Thank Celestia none of it fell onto the Shogun.

A strangled sort of cry left my mouth as I began to profusely apologise for my clumsiness and misconduct while I continued trying to convince myself I wasn't going insane. The Raiden Shogun was really there in front of me. The silence from the markets above was beginning to be filled with its regular chatter and I realised just what—or rather who—it was that had created the tension.

"Calm yourself and cease your apologies, child," the Shogun said. "You have caused me no harm." I gulped as I nodded, not daring to meet her eyes. "Must I wait any longer for the answer to my question?"

It took me a moment to remember what she had said upon first meeting me. Is that Dango Milk? she had asked.

"M—my apologies, Almighty Shogun. Yes, it is Dango Milk."

"Raise your head, child, and do not apologise." As instructed, I lifted my gaze to look at her, a sheepish smile on my face. A faint smile caressed her lips. "You have good taste. Last I came here, I was told Dango Milk did not sell well."

"I think you will be delighted to know that fact no longer remains true, Almighty Shogun. I—it sells better than before. Much better, even." A light chuckle left my lips as I willed myself to be casual and calm. "A shame, really, that there are still those who refuse to give it a go. Its taste is a delight to all who try it."

"Indeed. Well, at least it is appreciated. Market sales increase—even if only a little. I believe that should be enough for the young male who runs the store to profit." She then noted the mess on my clothes. "I apologise for startling you, child. Though you really should be more aware of your surroundings, I cannot blame you for being so lost in the Dango Milk's taste that you did not notice me."

I wasn't sure if that counted as an apology as I slowly nodded my head, but the Shogun didn't really have to apologise for anything, now did she?

"Come. Since you are much more pleasing company than others around here, I shall treat you. That should account for the wasted Dango Milk." She turned on her heel and began to walk back towards the marketplace. I opened my mouth to question her, then stopped. I knew better than to interrogate the Shogun's intentions, benevolent or malevolent.