𝖅𝖍𝖔𝖓𝖌𝖑𝖎 ✾

The cool sea breeze kissed my skin as I stared out at the ocean expanse, the water gleaming with warm colours as the sun dipped below the horizon, its last rays of light a final goodbye as day gave way to night. I grunted slightly as I lowered myself to the ground, letting my legs dangle over the edge of Mt. Tianheng.

I could hear soft footsteps behind me and I was alerted to someone's presence, but soon calmed as I realised who it was. Those footsteps—I only heard them because he wanted me to so he wouldn't frighten me when he spoke. As calming as his voice was, he had learned from experience how jumpy I was when it came out of nowhere.

"I didn't expect to find you here," I commented by way of greeting.

Zhongli was soon standing behind me, his robes brushing against my back as they billowed slightly in the wind. "Admiring the sunset?" was his response.

I nodded. "Indeed. Care to join me?"

"Very well." I could hear the ruffle of fabric as he sat down beside me, not a hint of exhaustion or exasperation at my request in his voice.

"How was your journey?" I asked him. "The Wangsheng Funeral Parlor is making you do an awful lot for that client."

"It was a fine journey, thank you. But rather, it is the opposite. I did this of my own accord. The Traveller who accompanied me was a large help in my endeavours."

"Really?" My gaze slid to him. "You'd think with the death of Rex Lapis you would decide against doing such things and well... take some time off. You're very knowledgeable when it comes to him. One would think you were his number one fan. I thought you'd be devastated."

A twinkle of what might have been amusement danced in his eyes. "If that's how you interpret it. I find myself to be in quite high spirits despite the ordeal at the Rite of Descension. How do the recent turn of events affect you?"

"They're definitely... startling to say the least. I had never attended a Rite of Decension before, but it almost feels as if... he was just whisked away from Liyue—from me. I might miss his guiding presence—one that I didn't know was so close to me."

"He's closer than you might think." Finally, he looked at me, his amber eyes seemingly glowing in the setting sun. Beautiful—it was the only word that came to mind as all other manners of speech escaped me. A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips as he seemed to read my thoughts. "Are my eyes that appealing to you, Y/n?"

A light blush spread across my cheeks as he said that, but being embarrassed in front of an esteemed figure such as Zhongli was not something that would end well for my reputation. Goodness—if he were anybody else, he would surely joke about it with his colleagues, and then how could I show my face around Wangsheng? 

"They certainly have an enticement that I rarely find elsewhere," I dared say.

A light chuckle resounded from within him as he turned back to the sunset. "You flatter me."

"Hardly—I'm just stating the truth."

Then silence hovered over us. Even in this absence of words, it was not uncomfortable. His mere presence provided enough peace to last a lifetime—even more.

Seeing that he was the one to appreciate these kinds of quiet, I was surprised to hear him break the silence. "The colours are indeed pleasing, are they not?" he said, referring to the sunset. "Much like your company."

I hummed in affirmation, before laughing a little. "I am pretty great, aren't I?"

"Your humility is a quality that I fail to miss while on my journeys."

I laughed again before his words sank in. "You... enjoy my company?"

His eyes sparkled again and he looked at me sidelong as if the answer was obvious—and I realised what a stupid question it was. "Of course," he said, his deep soothing voice reverberating through every muscle, vessel and pore in my body.

"Describe it to me—in Zhongli terms."

A huff of laughter—and mild but good-natured exasperation. "If I were to compare you to the very view we are experiencing and choose a favourite, I would choose you—for not even the sun can make me feel as warm as you do. Your smile is brighter than the sun's rays and just as radiant. You are as beautiful and tender as the gentle waves lapping on the ocean, and as soft yet firm as the breeze that drives them. Even the Geo Archon gazes upon you with longing."

My face reddened as I stared at him. I opened my mouth to say something as he fully met my gaze but closed it again, unable to utter a single word, make a single sound in response to the words that had just graced me.

He laughed a little. "I was going to ask if that was pleasing to you but it seems I have already rendered you speechless."

"..It was certainly much more than I was expecting."

"You are the one who asked for Zhongli terms."

"I did, indeed..." I could feel my fingers fumbling, my thumbs twiddling with a sudden feeling of restlessness as his words washed over me, caressing me with a grip oh so gentle I imagined Zhongli himself was holding me. "You really... mean all of that?"

"When have I ever lied to you?"

I was going to answer him when a sudden twang of guilt sparked in his eyes for a split second before disappearing. No—he would never lie. But maybe... tell a half-truth—or conceal it entirely.

I leaned forward a little with a gentle expression on my face. Never had I ever seen Zhongli so... well—anything other than the definition of calm and composed. "You don't need to tell me everything. Your secrets are your own, as are mine." Maybe he was hiding something—maybe he would never tell me what it was—but that didn't make him any less of a close friend.

Another ghost smile formed on his lips—one of gratitude. But he simply said, "I still contemplate what might be the right time to tell you—or if I should even tell you at all. In fact, half of the truth has already been revealed but will not be fully understood without the other half." He loosed a small sigh. "I... never realised it would take so much time and effort to reach a decision."

"Take your time," I smiled. And he smiled back—a real one, this time. It was a rare sight, but one so beautiful and delightful that I cherished each and every smile of his, every one the same yet so different. "I'll wait—for even the Lord of Geo's lifespan pales in comparison to the time I would wait for you."

A light chuckle. "Would you now? I'll take your word for it."

I sidled closer. "Damn right." Before I realised, my head was leaning against his shoulder and my fingers were twining with the long strands of his hair on his back. Perfect—everything about him was perfect, even more so than the sunset. "I mean that, by the way," I added. "I'll wait as long as you need."

"Thank you, good friend." Silent words I had never heard before floated through the air, yet somehow, I knew they were from him—knew we had a mutual feeling towards each other. For not even the ends of time can stop me from standing by your side.

⁜※⁜

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐
Completed: 12-06-23
Published: 17-06-23
└─── °∘❉∘° ───┘

Fanart credits: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/573575702555572568/