𝕶𝖆𝖟𝖚𝖍𝖆 ˋ°•*⁀➷

I waited on the docks for any sign a ship was approaching—not at all patiently, mind you. My hands were fidgeting, my eyes were darting left and right and I was practically jumping up and down on the spot. I knew this was hardly the kind of demeanour one would expect an Akademiya researcher studying abroad in Liyue to have but... I couldn't help it.

A friend of mine had sailed away—again. He had told me he would return after he had finished dropping off a Traveller to Inazuma or other. Of course, I was worried out of my mind after hearing the destination. Inazuma was a closed country, bordered by out-of-control seas...

There was every possibility he wouldn't make it back. And it wouldn't be just him I lost but my drinking buddy, Captain Beidou, as well. Life without them? I shook my head. No. Out of the question.

I sighed, shoving my hands into my jacket pockets. It wasn't really needed—Liyue was still quite warm well into the night. At least, for as long as I stayed out.

A week after The Crux had sailed off into the treacherous waters of Inazuma, I had begun waiting at the docks for any sign of their return. After I had completed the delegated daily studies I needed for my thesis, I would stand and look out over the waters until—well, until the dockmaster told me to pack it in. He was a kind old man, but I'm sure he didn't want me loitering on his dock for too long into the night. I suppose it sent a strange message.

The sun was beginning to dip below the horizon. Any moment now, the dockmaster would come and gently advise me to take my leave. I wanted to wait for as long as possible, but I needed to do some extra tasks that had been requested by my tutor—just to make sure I still retained my studying edge even here in Liyue.

I sighed and turned, making my way to Wangshu Inn where I was staying. It was quite a ways away, so it took time out of every day to make the trip back and forth—but for my friend, it was worth it. I exchanged a terse nod with the dockmaster as I passed him. As I strolled through Liyue Harbour as the evening sky called everyone home for dinner, I glimpsed one of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour consultants speaking with the Director—and suddenly I was filled with dread.

My pace quickened, and by the time I had made it to the Guili Plans, I was sprinting—as if running away from the thought itself. The thought that Kazuha... would not make it home.

⁜※⁜

I tossed and turned for hours that night, unable to get to sleep. The fear was overwhelming and while I knew better than to doubt Captain Beidou, Kazuha and the rest of The Crux fleet, I couldn't help it.

Eventually, I was able to drift off to some much-needed rest around the early hours of the morning. By the time I had woken, the sun was already shining above Wangshu Inn. I knew I was behind schedule, but thankfully not so much that it would be hard to catch up. I would just need to spend some time away from the docks to do so, and while the thought pained me, I knew my studies came first.

Well—breakfast came first. I tossed on some clean clothes and hurried out of my room, heading up towards the kitchen where Smiley Yanxiao was most likely wondering where I was. Every day, since the first day I had come, I made my way up to the kitchen at exactly 6.45 am to indulge myself in whatever concoction the chef had created that morning.

As I was heading down, I passed the innkeeper, Verr Goldet, and offered a sweet but hurried smile. She reached her hand out to me suddenly and called out for me before I disappeared into the kitchen and I paused. Her tone concerned me. She seemed... worried... Her eyes were pained. I turned slowly, hesitantly, as Verr reached beneath her desk to bring out a letter—as if to remind herself of the message she was to give me.