ʚ 𝕮𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖉𝖊 ɞ

A/N: Mild spoilers and references to the Liyue Archon quests and Childe's story quest

⁜※⁜

"Traveller! Hey, Lumine!" Footsteps as the male ran to the figure in front. "You aren't still that mad about what I did last time we met, right?"

Lumine sighed. "Childe... I can't say I'm over you trying to kill me, but I suppose I can put aside the fact that you pushed the responsibility of your little brother on me." She exhaled, seemingly remembering something. "I know how important family is."

Childe laughed. "You suppose? Well, I suppose that's better than nothing." I watched him look up at the sky, as if seeing something that others couldn't.

No, look back down. Focus on your tasks.

"Traveller!" a high-pitched voice rang. "Traveller, we're late!"

"For what?" Lumine demanded.

"Lunch! Duh! Paimon's hungry!"

Lumine rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue. "Come along, Paimon. We'll find you a restaurant."

"Oh!" Childe butted in. "Allow me to treat you both to a meal before we part. You'll let me, won't you?"

Lumine's mouth twitched to the side in contemplation, but the decision was already made for her. Paimon wriggled her little floating body in excitement. "Ooh, yes, please! Paimon thinks you owe us anyway, Mr Toymaker!"

Another laugh from the ginger. "You still remember that?" He inclined his head to a small restaurant nearby. "This one looks nice. Some of my colleagues from Northland Bank have recommended it to me."

Paimon read the name on the sign, slowly and carefully as if the words were some foreign language she hadn't laid eyes on before. "Crystallize... Tower... Paimon thinks it sounds nice! Let's go in!"

My ears perked up at that. Was he coming here? Here?

"Hey, Y/n! Why have you stopped scrubbing?!"

I huffed what could be taken as an apology as I continued to scrub away at the wooden counter at the reception window. Truth was, I had been listening in on their conversation since they came in range. Interesting people—a Traveller, staff from Northland Bank and a curious little white floaty person. And they were coming here.

But, of course, my manager wouldn't let me near them to save face. Cleaning things that were already cleaned—scrubbing at things so hard I uncovered a second skin—that was my job. I was right next to the counter—no one else was here—but if I so much as looked at our patrons, I'd be in trouble for sure.

I scrubbed harder in frustration. Slave—that's what I was. All I needed was a few shackles around my wrists and ankles and the look would be complete. Soon enough, I was envisioning my manager's face being scrubbed.

Do you feel that pain? How does it feel to be treated like a wooden board, you bastard?

I sighed. It was my own fault for being broke and as compliant as a doormat. But still, that silent rage lingered...

"Hello there. Can we get a table here?"

Oh Archons, oh Archons, oh Archons—

I cleared my throat and dared a glance upward at the blue-eyed man, who smiled down at me. My mouth opened slightly as I silently urged myself to say something. Too afraid to use my voice for fear of the consequences, I simply nodded and inclined my head to the door.

His smile wavered slightly—most likely due to confusion from my... strange way of dealing with customers—and my eyes darted back down to the bench where I continued scrubbing. The continuous motion made my muscles ache, but I'd do it for Mora—for the thing I needed to survive.