𝕮𝖞𝖓𝖔

I would've cried had I tears left in my body to shed. A soft, barely audible whine left my mouth as I trudged on, my feet dragging through the shifting sands.

I lifted my head from the golden glow of the desert sands to the giant dunes in the distance. A passing caravan lumbered slowly across the dunes, framed by the setting sun and the reddening sky. They were within shouting distance. But I could not call to them. As my weary gaze watched the travelling desert merchants and their Sumpter Beasts slowly walk away, I realised with much disappointment that my throat was too parched for words to form.

But that did not stop my legs from moving. Despite the numbing aching from endless miles of walking, I made to run towards them. I had been here—alone and lost and discarded in the desert—for two weeks. I had wandered aimlessly for the most of it, but finally, I had pinpointed the direction in which Aaru Village lay—probably. The uncertainty still gnawed at me. In reality, this caravan was likely the only opportunity I had to escape.

And soon I was running, flying over the crumbling sands, trying to coax out a loud cry from my throat to the merchants, Treasure Hoarders, Eremites—whoever was in charge of that caravan. It didn't matter. Water, food, a place to rest—

"Please," I begged hoarsely, the dry wind carrying my words away into the void. "Don't go." I scrambled up dunes and rolled down others, trying—trying so hard to get to the travellers. But by the time I made it atop the dune I had seen them on...

I dropped to my knees. Curled over myself. Cried—or tried to. Too late. I was too late. My body felt heavy. The adrenaline I had felt had already passed. The fleeting hope that briefly shone in my eyes, that had temporarily carried me across the sands, had faded away, as insignificant as my cries for help.

I slumped against the sand, expression dead, staring at nothing. The gentle winds caressed me and I watched loose sand wash over my outstretched hand, as smooth in motion as the tide I missed oh so much. It was so... pretty. To die in such a beautiful place—in a place reminiscent of my home... Maybe... it wasn't so bad.

The sands were warm from the day's sun, though when night fell, I knew the temperature would plummet. But... whatever. I wouldn't last another day or two. There were no oases in sight and any supplies I had carried had run out. Even if I had correctly guessed the direction in which Aaru Village laid, I wouldn't make it. It was too far.

So it wouldn't matter if the cold of night claimed me, I decided as I closed my eyes, letting the wind cover me with a thin blanket of sand as if it were trying to preserve my chances of life.

Because my life was pretty pointless anyway.

⁜※⁜

When I awoke, it wasn't a blanket of sand that covered me, but a thick quilt of fleece. Still, I shivered, wearily looking at my surroundings with a heavy gaze. I cast my eyes onto a fire nearby. The warmth of the flickering flame that danced quietly to the rhythm of the night was my saviour, rescuing me from the clutches of the cold. I watched it for a moment longer, relishing its beauty, before turning my attention to the figure who slept behind it. A figure who slept with a staff clutched tightly in his hands.

I tensed slightly, watching him closely as his chest slowly rose and fell in a steady rhythm. He slept... with a weapon. No doubt he was adept at using it.

I took a breath, settling my thoughts. Had he been the one who had saved me? I made to rise, my muscles still weak and heavy. Slowly and carefully, I hauled myself upright, arms shaking as I breathed. Breathe, I told myself. Just breathe...

The figure's eyes shot open and I froze. He examined me for a moment, before rising, using his staff to help him to his feet. His tangled white hair shifted slightly in the ever-flowing desert wind that crept into the tent as he stalked over, before kneeling at my side to guide me to a steady sitting position.