𝕬𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 𓇢𓆸

It would've been lonesome on that mountain had it not been for Paimon's constant chatter. Aether shimmied around a dangerous-looking bend, finding himself on a wide platform. He took a breath, appreciating the cool breeze as he now could finally take a break after braving the treacherous mountain terrain.

He lowered himself to the ground, crossing his legs on the smooth, cold stone beneath him. His golden braid fluttered in the wind and he brushed his fringe out of his face, running his fingers through his hair. Paimon floated next to him, watching the sun as it dipped below the blanket of clouds.

"It'll get cold soon, Traveller. Paimon thinks we should find a place to rest," Paimon advised.

Aether hummed in agreement. "A few more moments, Paimon. I think we deserve a small break." He fished a small nut bar out of his pocket and handed it to her. "It's not Sweet Madame, but it'll fill your stomach until we find a safe place to cook. That's what you're worried about, right?"

Paimon huffed. "Paimon's serious this time! Paimon cares about you, ya know!" She snatched the bar from the laughing Traveller. "But Paimon will take that bar, thank you very much!"

Little did the pair know that from a cave not far away from them, an arrow was being nocked into a bow, its iron tip gleaming in the setting sun.

⁜※⁜

I aimed. They seemed harmless, but trespassers simply would not do. It was in the Fatui handbook somewhere—where exactly, I wasn't sure, but I knew I had to be rid of them, no matter their motives.

Aim... and fire!

But I never fired. I sighed, lowering the bow. They were... harmless.

It would've been a killer shot, impaling both figures—that I was sure of. I threw my bow back into my weapons stash at the side of the cave and began to climb down the footholds and handholds I had carved into the mountain upon making my arrival... however many years ago. It had been a long long time.

I landed softly on the ground. Immediately, the Traveller was on his feet, sword in hand. Clearly, he was no normal Traveller for him to notice me, as my landing was barely audible.

"F—Fatui!" his companion cried out, darting behind him as she noted the mask that hid my face.

Slowly, he advanced towards me. "Who are you?" he demanded.

Not so harmless, then—but only because he felt threatened. I lifted my hands up. "Easy. I'm unarmed." He stopped but didn't sheathe his blade. I nodded my head towards my place of residence. "Your companion mentioned it was going to be cold tonight, and she's right. These are unforgiving mountains. I have room in there if you want to stay—for one night."

He looked confused but nodded and walked towards me. I had to admit, he was a pleasing sight, gorgeous from every angle—although that could just be me glad to have human contact again.

I led the way, climbing back up the small rocky face with ease and hoisting myself into the cave, then waiting for the Traveller to follow. He followed me effortlessly—while his companion, who I think I heard refer to herself as Paimon, floated up into the cave with no physical exertion at all.

It was unnervingly quiet. Clearly, there was very little trust towards me, even as I lit the fire for him to cook for his floating friend. "If you're hungry, cook," I said, more of an order than a suggestion. It wouldn't do to have them starve.

He nodded and drifted to the fire and made use of my limited cooking materials, his sword still within easy reach of his hand.

I clicked my tongue. "Put that damned thing away. I'm not going to hurt you. Despite what you might think of us, Fatui don't go back on their word. We're honourable in that respect at the very least."