𝖃𝖎𝖆𝖔 ✦

The monsters were getting worse. Twice now, I had been saved by passing members of the Adventurers Guild. There was no reason—no explanation—that they could offer besides their mirrored bewilderment as to the behaviour of the wildlife around Liyue.

I had concluded my meeting with Wangshu Inn's manager the day before, who had offered to hire escorts for me when I left on errands and supply runs. It was an important role, after all, working in the Ministry of Civil Affairs. I had gladly accepted, but with the increasing danger of the situation, I couldn't help but wonder if the escorts that now surrounded me and my cargo would be able to fend off the monsters that I knew lurked in the nearby hills.

I loosed a quiet breath, keeping a steady hand on the cargo balloon as it drifted down the path. One of my escorts—Verrin, he said his name was—flashed me a wry grin. "I see we've already received the dreaded Exhale of Dissatisfaction."

"N—no!" I blurted, waving my hands in denial. "Not at all! I was just worried... S—sorry, I do not mean to doubt your skills as my personal escorts but... these monsters have caused me much trouble recently and the widespread incidents have only been getting worse."

Verrin chuckled wholeheartedly. "Fear not, Miss Cargo Escorter. You shall be safe, by any means possible."

I offered a nod of gratitude, though his words were not enough to sway my doubts.

We continued on, me, Verrin and the other escorts—who were unfortunately not as lively—exchanging small talk to pass the time.

But our breath was soon taken away by the view as we stood atop the next hill, our eyes widening considerably. Verrin had a hand on his sheathed blade in an instant.

For what caught our eyes was not Liyue Harbour in all its splendour and beauty in the distance—but rather the valley full of raging monsters in front. A death trap, some would say.

I glanced at my escorts, taking a step in front of my cargo as if that would do anything to protect it. "Do you have a weapon of your own?" Verrin asked me.

"No," I breathed as I gazed upon the valley of terror. "None that would be of any use against these guys anyway."

"We should take a different route," the other escort beside me said. "This one is far too dangerous and—"

She paused as the ground shook. Footsteps.

We all turned our heads slowly. Coming up from the path we had just travelled was a Stonehide Lawachurl and its entourage of Hilichurls. My breath hitched and I became utterly utterly still.

Its eyes gleamed as it saw us. Verrin screamed the order to run and scatter before it had even summoned its Geo shield and suddenly my legs were moving as fast as they could carry me. I didn't know where I should go—only that I should move away from the valley. So I traversed right—and that Stonehide Lawachurl followed me.

I hauled myself higher—must go higher—over rocks towards the top of the mountains. The Lawachurl followed with easy steps. I was alone in the mountains—so very very alone. There was no one else to help me—nothing else to guide me except that lone command to run.

I felt something hit me and grew worried—an avalanche would be the worst thing that could happen right now—and looked up. What I saw above me was not falling rocks, but rather a thick blanket of midnight blue stretching across the sky. It wasn't long before the rain began to fall in sheets.

My fringe clung to my forehead and I had to continuously wipe stray strands of hair and water from my face. Behind me, I heard a loud thud that shook the rock I was climbing and dared a glance backwards. The Lawachurl had fallen—slipped and fallen on the wet rocks, it seemed. It turned and began to walk away, bored of stalking its prey in this hideous weather.