𝕶𝖆𝖊𝖞𝖆 ✧

"I suppose I should consider myself lucky Master Diluc has graced us with his presence here at the tavern tonight," Kaeya said with a half-smile, his wine glass' stem between his fingers.

Diluc almost groaned. "I would consider myself more lucky if you weren't here to ruin my shift."

"Now now, Master Diluc. Let's not get feisty in front of the other patrons, hm?"

Diluc only clicked his tongue and turned back to the cup he was cleaning. I noticed he had cleaned that same one six times already, and that it was likely a way to keep his mind off Kaeya, seeing that no one was ordering at the moment and there were no dishes to be cleaned.

I smiled a little as I drank from my mug of ice-cold tea. I almost felt bad for the man.

Kaeya peered into my cup once I had set it down on the counter. "Well—at least it's not grape juice."

"I'm not really an alcohol drinker," I replied. "Unlike someone."

Kaeya laughed. "It helps to have a way to take off the edge sometimes, you know? Being a Cavalry Captain of the Knights of Favonius has its ways of being... draining."

"Excuses."

He scoffed. "Dear me, you've got quite the tongue on you tonight—much unlike your usual sweetheart behaviour." I rolled my eyes. He threw a thumb over his shoulder, pointing to the bard dressed in teal-green behind us. "If you want to poke fingers, he's the one you want."

I swivelled on my chair to gaze at Venti as he downed what probably was his eighth glass of ale tonight—that I was aware of. "What are the chances he'll break into a random ballad like last time?"

Kaeya lifted his glass to his lips, mumbling, "I'd say... pretty darn high." He drank the rest of the contents of the glass before lifting it to Diluc behind him in silent request.

Diluc sighed and filled his cup back up again. "With the amount of alcohol you're drinking tonight, I sure hope you can pay your tabs..."

Kaeya laughed. "Why—of course, I can! I'm almost offended you'd say such a thing. I've always paid for every glass I've ever downed—which I've always drunk with care and responsibility, might I add. One cannot savour the taste of alcohol if they rush."

"Responsibly isn't exactly the word I would use. You're just lucky you have such a high alcohol tolerance."

Another huff of amusement. His gaze flicked to me. "Surely, Y/n, you don't agree with what Master Diluc is saying?"

I hummed to myself thoughtfully instead of giving him a straight answer, which I knew would annoy him.

"Hey, hey, don't tell me you're ganging up on me by siding with him."

"Well," I smiled, hiding the thin crescent on my lips behind my cup, "what would you do if I was?"

"Testing me, are you?" He shook his head. "Bad little girl..."

I huffed a laugh at his comment. "You make it sound like I'm some sort of criminal."

"Ah, but you are, you little thief."

Diluc rolled his eyes, no doubt used to Kaeya's antics, and I raised an eyebrow. "What in Teyvat are you talking about? Are you sure your tolerance is as high as you say?"

He chuckled and held my gaze—Archons, it was ferocious, full of that flirty desire he often gave people... but somehow more so this time. "Maybe... you've stolen my heart. Ever thought of that?"

I blushed a little. What did he say?

"I..." I took a little breath. He wanted to play flirty? There was no reason I couldn't do the same. I smiled coyly. "I'll steal something else if you're not careful—your lips."

"And what if I'd like that?"

I leaned slightly closer. "Then I'd say it's a win-win."

He grinned. "You don't have the guts to kiss me, Y/n. You're much too much of a sweetheart for that. You don't even drink at a tavern—where it's custom to drink."

"Call me sweetheart again and you can bet your last Mora I'll do it." He seemed to contemplate it momentarily, but I didn't leave him any room or time to disagree. "If I back out, I'll drink alcohol like you want—a whole glass of your choice. But if I go through with it..." I looked down at my fingers with a devious grin on my face before lifting my gaze back to him. "You have to take me on a date. Sound fair?"

"Hell of a deal, sweetheart. Well, then?"

I tapped beneath his chin, looking at his lips that all of a sudden... seemed so... kissable. No—no, I was just playing along with him. There was no way I actually harboured any real feelings towards this idiot... did I?

Whatever the case, I had challenged him and I hated to lose. He was right—I was a bit squeamish when it came to these things but... that periwinkle eye of his seemed to draw me in, to draw out a smile that only he seemed capable of doing, as if the desire in his eye was reflected in my own.

Before I could change my mind, I gripped his chin and pulled his face closer to mine until our lips touched. Oh, Archon... I could feel Diluc watching and almost felt bad that he had to watch some random maiden kiss his brother—almost. Too lost in his kiss was I to really care.

When we finally pulled away, it was like I had just returned from a different world and a deep shade of red found its way onto my cheeks. Kaeya grinned at me, seemingly not at all fazed, then looked to the stars and moon through the window.

"Well, would you look at the time? Duty calls, and as much as I'd love to stay here with you, darling, I must leave or Acting Grand Master Jean will have my hide. As promised, I'll take you on that date—but some other time."

As he rose to leave and headed to the door—paying his tab as he said he would—I suddenly jerked to my feet. "Kaeya!"

He stopped and slowly turned with that smile of his I hated and adored. "Yes?" he drawled.

"I—I... I love you."

His grin softened as he said, "I love you, too."

⁜※⁜

A/N: Yes, I decided to continue :) Thank you  for your support <3

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐
Completed: 7-06-23
Published: 10-06-23
└─── °∘❉∘° ───┘

Fanart credits: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/1124140757003188022/