𝖁𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎 ༄

A/N: Spoilers for Venti story quest and backstory. Yes, I was having a Venti moment while writing this

⁜※⁜

Venti was sitting on the Archon statue again. I could see his little legs dangling over the edge of the statue's cupped hands.

Usually, I would wait beneath the statue for him to come down and we would accompany each other to the tavern—or he would already be there waiting. I was worried I was late as I entered Angel's Share after having been so engrossed in a book time became non-existent, but the bard was nowhere to be found. I had thought it strange since he was always at the tavern by that time, and Charles hadn't seen him all day.

So I thought about all the places he might have been, before ending up near the Favonius Church. If he hadn't come down by now, something was definitely wrong. "Venti!" I called. No response. "Hey, Venti! Tone-deaf bard!" Not even utilising the Traveller's companion Paimon's nickname worked. I was sure he could hear me—perhaps it just simply did not register. Sometimes, thoughts were so loud they drowned out the surroundings.

I sighed and made my way towards the statue. I had seen the Traveller climb the giant figure many times, often starting by running up the flat surface of its cape. I wasn't nearly as skilled as the Traveller, but that did not stop me from trying.

I slowly, carefully, made my way up the slope of the cape, my hand running along the statue itself for support. It began to grow steeper and I found myself gripping the edges of the cape as I shimmied upwards, before grabbing the arm of the statue. I took a breath as I balanced myself, then hoisted myself up—or at least tried.

I could feel myself slipping backwards and I cried out in fear—I was very high up—only to have my wrist grabbed by small cold hands and pulled back onto the statue. "You really should be more careful!" Venti said with light reprimand in his voice. "Who knows what could've happened if I wasn't up here already."

I smiled gratefully at him. "You're the only reason I came up here, Venti. What's wrong?"

"Hmm? Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, you're usually down by now and in the tavern, drinking and singing away—but not today. You've been coming up here more and more frequently. I'm worried for you."

He offered me a closed-eye smile. "There's no reason to be worried, Y/n! I'm fine!"

"Are you?" I pushed. Oftentimes people will say they're ok the first time you ask. When you ask again, sometimes their mask will break and you can see the true emotions buried beneath.

Indeed, his smile wavered.

I sighed a little. "I knew it... And you're hiding it from me."

Venti nodded his head towards the Archon statue's cupped hands. "Come—sit with me." There was something almost... unnerving at how serious and calm he was. I adored his playful personality and his energy, and to not see that there alarmed me.

Venti sat back down at his usual place, overlooking Mondstadt as the lights from the buildings lit up the city, akin to a field of stars. He patted beside him and I sat down, our feet touching as they dangled together. I smiled at him and he returned it, placing his hand on mine as he noticed the concern in my eyes.

We turned back to the city. There, we sat in silence, offering no exchanges of words nor glances, only the touch of our hands as I rubbed my fingers over Venti's hand. I waited for him to speak—to tell me of his troubles—but as the quiet dragged on, though not uncomfortable, I was beginning to feel that he would not say what was on his mind.