Chapter 28

After a while, the broken shield began to be slowly restored. The Knights, who arrived late, divided into groups and faced the demonic beasts and the evil dragon that invaded the capital.

When several master-level knights gathered, the evil dragon fled far away. It was after the beasts had been completely wiped out.

When the evil dragon disappeared, there was once again just one moon in the sky, as if what was being obscured by the evil dragons was, again, visible.

Everyone seemed relieved, but I felt some kind of insecurity.

‘It’s leaving just like this?’

My heart was trembling while I stared into the empty sky where the evil dragon had disappeared. Contrary to the preview, it was too weak. Somehow, it didn’t seem like the end.

I looked around without letting my guard down. People who could not escape into the building were lying around, bleeding.

Cracked buildings and broken stores stood out. It was a brief attack, but the capital was a mess.

I was looking at my surroundings with very wary eyes, but Lexion dragged me somewhere.

“Let’s talk for a second.”

His tone was heavy and dull.

“Where are you leaving?!”

Gregory shouted from behind. However, Lexion didn’t hesitate as if it had nothing to do with it. It was a strange behavior I had seen for the first time.

It was unusual for him to react so sharply. I was startled to see him so angry.

“Le-Lexion?”

“…”

I called him out of anxiety, but he didn’t answer. I talked to him once again.

“Aren’t- aren’t you going to settle the situation with the Prince?”

I tried to put weight on my lower body, stopping him from walking. Only then did he look at me for a moment. He was just staring, but somehow he looked soggy. Even though his eyes were dry, he looked strangely like weeping.

I released the strength I was holding on to.

‘Why do you have those eyes?’

I couldn’t understand what his expression meant. ‘Am I missing something?’

In the meantime, Lexion moved again, and I blankly followed his lead. As we entered the empty alley, he pushed me against the wall. At the same time, he supported my head with his hands so that I didn’t get hit. It was more of a cautious movement rather than a coercive one.

“…”

“…”

A suffocating silence surrounded us. I did not avoid the straight gaze.

Suddenly, the surroundings began to darken again. It seemed that the evil dragon had returned as I thought, and was about to rush into the capital once again.

Kyyyyeeeeeehh! A roar like a cry vibrated through the sky.

“Be careful! Everyone, prepare for the attack!”

The screams of the evil dragon and the shouts of the knights were mixed.

Then the guide appeared with a beep sound.

―The male lead is in danger!

Originally, Lexion had to die protecting him. Maybe now was the time.

I held onto his sleeves so that Lexion might go to Gregory. Fortunately, he showed no sign of moving.