Chapter 38: Going Full Pogue

"JJ, please, stay with me!" Evelyn panted as she tried to keep her and JJ's head above the water, "Stay with me. John B's coming. John B's coming, okay?"

She knew JJ couldn't hear her right now. She was honestly trying to convince herself that they were going to be saved. She didn't know how much longer she could hold JJ's dead weight in the water.

"John B! Help!" Evelyn yelled as JJ's body started to weigh her down, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you."

JJ's body started to slip out of her arms as she heard yelling. Evelyn lifted her head seeing her friend rushing toward her on the life raft.

"JJ!" John B yelled.

"Come on. Come on," Pope said holding out his arm. Evelyn used the rest of her energy to push them toward the boat. John B grabbed ahold of JJ lifting him into the boat as Evelyn was grabbed by Pope.

John B rushed back to the engine trying to get them away from the boat as fast as he could. Evelyn immediately went to JJ's side still trying to wake him up

"No, no, no, no," John B said as the boat stopped.

"What's going on?" Kie asked.

"John B," Sarah said.

"We're stalling out," John B said pulling on the string and trying to get the engine started again.

"Are you serious? We're sitting ducks," Pope said.

"We gotta go!" Evelyn cried.

"I'm trying. Forward or back?" John B said, "If everyone just tried to relax."

"He's pointing a gun at us!" Pope said.

"We gotta go, hurry!" Sarah yelled.

"I'm trying, okay," John B said.

"J, please wake up," Evelyn begged, her attention falling back to the boy in front of her. Her hand caressed the spot of his head that was covered in blood as John B got the engine to the boat started. "J! Please! Please!"

"Come on JJ!" Kie said shaking the boy.

"Wake up," John B said shaking his shoulder.

"Please get up!" Evelyn yelled. JJ's eyes opened as he started coughing up the water that was in his body.

"There ya go. Yeah, yeah. Cough it out. Caught it out, baby," John B said. Evelyn helped JJ roll to his side so that he could cough up the rest of the water.

"Hey, buddy, there you go," Pope smiled, "Welcome to the land of the living, dude."

"No CPR needed huh?" John B said. JJ looked around his eyes landing on Evelyn who was beside him.

"Hi," she breathed out.

"'Sup?" JJ replied making them all laugh. Evelyn shoved his shoulder before pulling him into her chest, finally letting a tear run down her face.

"Just always looking for attention," John B joked.

"Whatever it takes, right?" JJ said.

"Attaboy," John B said. Evelyn moved the cloth she had to the side of his head where he was bleeding.

"What the hell happened?" JJ asked.

"The blunt end of a machete," Evelyn said.

"Machete?" JJ asked.

"The blunt end," Evelyn repeated.

"Next time, duck," Kie said.

"I'll try to remember that next time," JJ said, "Thanks."