Chapter 18: You Think You're A Pogue Huh?

Thank you all for 1k reads on this story! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statue section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances," the judge spoke.

Evelyn sat next to JJ as her leg bounced up and down due to nervousness.

"If convicted the maximum sentence would be the death penalty," the judge finished before striking her gavel.

The crowd around the teens erupted in people talking. Evelyn was trying to block most of them out but could hear some excitement coming from the crowd.

"Your Honor, he's 17!" JJ yelled standing up.

"Quiet," the judge yelled.

"No, he's 17! Are you kidding me?" JJ argued.

"JJ, stop," Evelyn said trying to calm the boy.

"You're good," Pope said.

"Bailiff!" the judge announced.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out," JJ called.

"John B! John B!" Sarah said walking toward the boy.

"Sarah!" Kie said going after the girl.

"John B! No!" Sarah cried as an officer tried to pull her back away from him.

"Sarah!" Evelyn called.

"Stop! Don't touch her!" Kie said to the officer, "Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here."

Evelyn wrapped her arms around Sarah as they exited the court room.

"Is this a joke?" Kie asked once they were outside, "Like, are we in hell or...?"

"I should have never come home," Sarah said.

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it," JJ said.

"So sorry for what you and your family have gone through," a man said next to them, "Thank god the system works."

"Can you please shut up?" Kie said to the man," Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"He'll have his day in court," the man said, "A jury will decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court!" Kie yelled pointing toward Ward, "You should, 'cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court."

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay?" Ward said.

"Upset?" Kie yelled.

"I know he's got you fooled," Ward said, "He's got you all fooled."

"No, I'm not just upset!" Kie yelled walking toward Ward.

The crow erupted while two officers grabbed ahold of Kie pulling her back from Ward.

"Show some respect!" Ward yelled.

"Muzzle your goddamned dog!" JJ yelled at Shoupe.

"Get off her," Pope said.

"Why don't you take the Kooks down for a change, Shoupe?" JJ questioned.

"You wanna get arrested?" Shoupe asked, "Get out! You need to go."

"This is bullshit," Kie commented.

"Come on," Sarah said grabbing ahold of the girls arm, "Look, it's not worth it."

"It's not a coincidence that your daughter's sitting with us!" Evelyn yelled as they walked away.