Chapter 10: Rekindling

JJ laid the gun out on Shoupe's desk as the cop looked up at the four teens in front of him.

"So y'all are telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?" Shoupe asked.

"That's exactly what we're telling you Shoupe," JJ said.

"And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin," Pope added.

"And where's that corpse again?" Shoupe asked.

"Didn't you look?" Kie asked.

"I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out," Shoupe said.

"He was out?" Evelyn questioned, "Listen to yourself."

"He's dead, all right," JJ said.

"Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide," Shoupe said.

"What are you talking about?" Kie asked.

"I told you this was going to happen," JJ told Pope.

"Are you at least going to send it in for ballistics and shit?" Evelyn asked.

"Or are you just going to sit on your ass," Kie added.

"He'll sit there and wax that mustache," JJ said, "Is it even real?"

Guys...this line KILLS me 💀

Shoupe stood up from his desk, "I'll wax this--"

"Shut up, JJ!" Pope yelled.

"It's not fair," Kie said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt his feelings?" JJ asked as Shoupe walked to his office door.

"Shut up!" Pope yelled at JJ again.

"Get out," Shoupe said opening the door, "I got work to do."

"Are you serious?" JJ asked.

"Ya'll are smelling up my office," Shoupe continued.

"Shit," Pope said smacking the desk in front of him.

Kie stood up from the chair she was sitting in and walked toward Shoupe, "Did Ward bribe you? This doesn't make any sense."

"You ain't gonna do shit," JJ mumbled as he walked out of the office.

"Out!" Shoupe yelled.

"Come on, Pope," Evelyn said looking back at her friend who was still slumped over the desk.

Pope stood up and walked beside Evelyn, looking directly at Shoupe, "We brought you the murder weapon. There's no logical reason fro you not to send it in."

"Go with your friends," Shoupe replied.

"This is bullshit," Evelyn mumbled as her and Pope left the office.

--

Evelyn was back at the Chateau and had just gotten out of the shower. Kiara had dropped her and JJ off there before leaving to drop Pope off. Evelyn had decided to shower before heading home because she didn't want to be questioned by her parents why she smelled like sewage.

She walked out to the living room and saw JJ out in the backyard with his feet in the hot tub. She knew she should probably just leave, but what she had promised herself in the drain pulled her toward the back yard. JJ may still hate her, she really wasn't sure, but she was determined to fix their friendship.

"Hey," Evelyn said as she dried her hair off with a towel.

"Hey," JJ said looking at the girl before turning to look back at the water in the hot tub.