Chapter 4: Not Delivered

Ope, double update 🫢🫢 Enjoy!
~A

"Hey, mom," Evelyn said walking into the kitchen.

"Hey sweetie. You look nice," Allison said.

"Yeah I'm meeting Topper, Cara, and Kelce at the club for lunch," Evelyn said.

Truthfully this would be one of the first times Evelyn had left the house since her parents had gotten home a few weeks ago. She had seen Kie and Pope once but other than that she had been trying to keep her distance. They tired to convince her that everything was fine and that JJ wouldn't mind if she tagged along but she knew they were just trying to make her feel better. The bomb she had dropped on JJ about sleeping with Topper was a lot and she knew that, she wouldn't blame him if he never wanted to lay eyes on her again.

"That's nice," Allison said, "Seems like you've been held up in this house since we got back."

"Well I'd say losing two of your friends and possibly the other three is a good reason not to leave the house," Evelyn commented.

"It seems you and Topper are getting closer," Allison said changing the subject.

Topper had been one of the only people that Evelyn had spent time with the past few weeks. He had come over quite a bit to check on her and she had gone to his house a hand full of times.

"Anything going on between you guys that I need to know about?" Allison questioned.

Evelyn had told her mom that her and JJ had a falling out but she didn't tell her that it was because she slept with Topper. As far as her parents knew Topper and Evelyn were just rekindling their friendship.

"No mom," Evelyn said, "I've told you Topper and I are just friends."

"All right but friends don't look at each other they way you two look at each other," Allison said.

"We don't look at each other any way," Evelyn defended, "You guys just aren't use to us being friends again."

"Whatever you say sweetie. I'm just glad that you are smiling again," Allison said, "I was really worried about you there for awhile."

"I was grieving mom," Evelyn said, "I still am, I just know John B and Sarah wouldn't want me sulking around all the time, they'd want me to be out and having fun."

She knew they'd really want her spending time with JJ, Pope, and Kiara but that would have to be put on hold for awhile. Evelyn knew that if John B was here he would be doing everything in his power to get JJ and her back on speaking terms. Maybe she should try and text him...try and talk to him. Her phone going off cut her thoughs short.

Top 😊:

You here yet?

Bee 🐝:

Getting ready to leave. See you soon!

"I gotta go mom," Evelyn said

"All right sweetie. I'll see you later," Allison said.

Evelyn walked toward the front door and grabber her keys. She was regretting accepting Toppers invitation to lunch because she didn't really care for the Cara girl that was going to be there. She also knew that people would most likely be talking about John B and Sheriff Peterkin. She got in her car and started the engine.

She glanced down at her phone trying to decide if she should text JJ or not. She typed a quick message that just said hey, pressed send, and locked her phone throwing it into the passenger seat before driving away. He probably wouldn't text her back but it was at least a start.