Chapter 19: Jailbreak

Evelyn knocked on the door with tears running down her face just hoping that someone would answer.

"Evelyn," Topper said looking at the girl.

"Topper," Evelyn sniffled, "Can I come in."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course," Topper said stepping to the side.

"Thanks," Evelyn said walking into the house.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Topper asked.

"N--not really," Evelyn cried.

"Why don't we go upstair," Topper said putting his arm around the girl.

Topper lead Evelyn up the stairs and to his room. Evelyn cried into Topper's shoulder as he held her.

"Hey, it's gonna be all right," Topper said rubbing her back.

"It's not gonna be all right," Evelyn said, "My whole life is a mess. Everyone always leaves."

Evelyn looked up at Topper who was giving the girl a sympathetic look.

"I'm here," Topper said.

"Thanks, Top," Evelyn said pulling the boy into a hug, "I can always count on you."

Evelyn pulled back from the hug stopping herself to smile at Topper. The boy reached out and pushed a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I will always be here for you Bee," Topper smiled.

He started to lean in but Evelyn pulled back away from the kiss.

"Thanks Top, you're a great friend," Evelyn weakly smiled.

"Oh right, friend," Topper said a little annoyed.

"Do you not want to be my friend?" Evelyn asked.

"No I do. I just thought maybe we were a little more than that now," Topper said.

"Topper," Evelyn said.

"No, no, it's fine," Topper said getting up off the bed, "I'm glad I finally know where we stand."

"I never meant to hurt you," Evelyn said making Topper laugh, "I didn't."

"Then why do you keep toying with my emotions?" Topper asked, "First you kiss me, then you sleep with me."

"I didn't mean for any of that to happen," Evelyn defended, "You and I both agreed to stay friends."

"No, you agreed," Topper said, "I was just going along with whatever you wanted."

"Topper can we please not do this right now," Evelyn said, "I've had a really long night."

"Fine," Topper said, "Are you at least gonna tell me what happened?"

"My parents kicked me out of the house and now I have no where to stay," Evelyn said.

"Th--they kicked you out?" Topper asked, "Why would they do that?"

"I went to ask them about trying to get money for a lawyer for John B which just led to a big argument," Evelyn said, "My dad had already kicked me out before when I left and went to Charleston so I should have known that it was a bad idea..."

"Wait your dad already kicked you out once? You went to Charleston?" Topper asked more confused than ever.

"Yeah because," Evelyn said starting to explain everything but stopped because she knew she couldn't tell Topper about the gold, "It's a long story."

"Sounds like you've been having a lot of those lately," Topper said.

"You don't even know the half of it," Evelyn said putting her face in her hands.