Chapter 28: Double Time

"There it is, Angel Oak," Kie said as the big tree came into view a ways in front of them.

"Oh, shit," John B said as they continued to drive, "The tide is coming in."

"Hey, wait a second, look," Pope said pointing to the ground in front of them, "They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ asked.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey," John B said as he continued to stare at the road.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement," JJ said looking over at John B.

"Okay, well clearly they made it. No?" Kie asked.

"In a two-wheel drive?" JJ questioned, "I don't know about that."

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah questioned, "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

Evelyn couldn't help but hold back a laugh at Sarah's comment. When it came to John B and JJ, they never chose the safe option.

"She's got a point," John B said turning back to JJ.

"Speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ said as everyone grabbed on to something in the car to keep them as steady as possible, "So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother."

"Stick to the high ground in the middle," Pope said.

"All right, ready? Here we go," John B said.

John B pressed the gas making the Twinkie accelerate.

"Come on, bro, punch it," JJ said, "Speed it your friend. Speed it your friend. You're not going fast enough."

"I'm in second," John B said.

"It's gonna slide," Kie said.

"You're fishtailing already," JJ said as the van started to sway back and forth.

"Yeah I know," John B said trying to remain calm.

"Not to put anymore pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever," Pope commented.

"Put your head back, okay?" John B said pushing Pope back toward the back of the van.

Evelyn let out a deep breath when they made it across onto more solid ground.

"Thank God we're alive," Evelyn breathed.

"I told you we'd make it," John B said.

"All right, right here, right here. That's good," JJ said as John B stoped the van, "Angel Oak is right through here."

JJ grabbed ahold of the back door to the van sliding it open, "All right, so word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here, so keep your eyes peeled, okay? You don't wanna step on a mama gator."

"They have nests?" Kie questioned.

"Seem's like a good place to park," Sarah commented sarcastically.

"All right," JJ said picking up a big stick, "You don't wanna be a Pat Womack. She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right? You know that right?"

"That's actually not true," Kie said.

"Yeah, Pat Womack was injured in a car accident," Evelyn corrected.

"Okay, just live in ignorance. But like, she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator. I know that for a fact," JJ said as he walked toward the water, "They like the brackish water. Wait hold on I see something."