Chapter 6: Message From Beyond The Grave

I'm not really sure if this was their actually first day back or not...but I'm going to make it that way for this story.

~A

Evelyn was riding in the passenger seat of Kiara's car as they pulled up to the Chateau to pick up JJ. Pope had been excited to see the blonde in the front seat this morning but Evelyn couldn't help but know JJ would not feel the same when he saw her.

"Morning," Pope said as JJ climbed into the back seat.

"What's she doing here?" JJ asked looking at Evelyn.

"She is riding to school with us like always," Kie said, "We're not breaking the tradition of going to school together on the first day."

"Whatever," JJ mumbled in the back.

"It's gonna be a great day," Evelyn mumbled.

Kie pulled up to Kildare County High School and parked in her usual spot. Evelyn never really minded school, but she was not ready to go back this year. How was she supposed to carry on like life was normal when so much had changed.

"Hey, chill out," Kie told JJ as he took a swing from the flask in his hand.

"If I black out, just don't remind me," JJ said.

"That's not funny," Kie said.

The group of friends made their way toward the school as many whispered filled the air around them. Though everyone made sure that none of them heard.

"Hey, its them."

"I wasn't sure they'd show up."

"I heard they got arrested."

"Think they had something to do with it?"

"They had to."

Evelyn's eyes fell to a memorial for John B that was leaned up against the big rock that sat outside of their school. It was the cutout of a surfboard that someone had spray painted his name on and put picture of him on it.

"I feel like people are staring at us," Kie said looking around.

Evelyn turned around to see several kids staring at them. It made her want to just curl up into a ball.

"Oh yeah," JJ said.

"Guys, I can't be late," Pope said staring to walk away.

"Hey. Hey," Kie said taking a step toward him, "We gotta stick together."

Kie held out her hand to Pope who grabbed ahold of it.

"Stick together. Yeah," JJ said walking beside Kie as she wrapped her hand around his arm.

Evelyn stood there staring at her friend in front of her. She wanted so bad to grab ahold of JJ's other hand but didn't feel likes she could.

"You coming?" Kie asked looking back at her friend.

"Umm I actually think I left something in the car," Evelyn said, "I'll catch up with you guys."

Evelyn turned to walk away, cursing at herself for the stupid excuse she had come up with.

"Evelyn," she heard JJ say which made her stop on her tracks.

She turned to see him standing there with his hand held out to her, "We can go grab it later."

Evelyn glanced at Kie who was smiling back at the girl.

"Well come on before you make Pope late," JJ said.