15: Curious and Curiouser

[victoria's pov]

The dinner had ended and now all that was left were conversations. Helen seemed to have taken the sign that Theo was not interested in being her guest, though I had asked him to keep our relationship low-profile.

"Sir," is it true that Professor Merrythought is retiring this year? Riddle asked Slughorn.

"Tom, Tom, if I knew I couldn't tell you," Slughorn said. "I must say, I'd like to know where you get your information, boy, more knowledgeable than half the staff, you are."

Now that Slughorn had mentioned it, I too had a moment of curiosity sparked. Riddle received admiring looks and I assumed it was because of his prefect privilege before thinking it over again.

The clock chimed, eleven o'clock and Slughorn whooped with surprise.

"Would you look at the time," Slughorn said in disbelief. "Well, off to your dormitories you go."

Everyone stood up to leave as Slughorn dismissed us. I wasn't sure how to end the night. It would be awkward to head back to the common room with both of them. I headed to the door with Theo and noticed Riddle had not followed behind, but had stayed seated. I didn't question it further and left with Theo, Helen Abbott behind us.

We followed a crowd of students until we made our ways to the stairs. Helen had bit Theo goodnight and merely waved at me before departing. Theo and I walked in silence until he grabbed onto my hand.

"Is this okay with you?" he asked me with an unsure smile.

His hands were warm and his fingers entwined with mine. I felt giddy.

"Mhm," I said. It was all I could manage.

We neared the dungeons when Theo paused. I could tell he had been waiting to say something, but was looking for the right moment.

"Because we're a couple now," he said with a hesitant tone. "Shouldn't you return Riddle's ring..."

I was unsure how to answer. Of course it was weird for me to possess another man's jewel during a relationship, but the thought of parting with it was almost a nightmare.

"Oh, I should..." I said. "I'll be back then, it won't take long, okay?"

Theo nodded and leaned against a column as he waited for my return.

[tom's pov]

Victoria had left with Theo, not bothering to summon my presence

Victoria had left with Theo, not bothering to summon my presence. Not that I would follow anyway, it only disturbed me slightly that she hadn't bothered to ask.

It shouldn't bother you, I thought to myself.

"Tom," Slughorn called, waking me up from my thoughts. "You don't want to be caught up this late, especially as a prefect."
I decided to get straight to my point.