12: Out of Sorts

[victoria's pov]

Of course it only made sense if a prefect would escort us to the Headmaster's office. Riddle had confiscated our wands and the entire walk was in silence. Yaxley was walking behind Riddle, careful to keep a distance, and I walked beside Theo, behind Riddle.

Peeves, another ghost of Hogwarts, spotted us and barked with laughter.

"Naughty Theodore Nott, Notty Notty," he sang and spotted the bruises on Theo. "What's gotten into your Locke, Nott?"

I rolled my eyes and Peeves looked at Yaxley and spotted his bloody nose and bruised neck. "Oh no, did the girl not choose you?" Peeves cackled loudly. "Yaxley the rejected! Yaxley is madly upset! Madly Yaxley, madly Yaxley," he cried and floated off laughing at his jokes.

Yaxley's neck reddened.

"We should make a run for it," Theo whispered to me.

I grinned and added, "And go where? America?"

"If that's what it takes," Theo joked. We shared a quiet laugh and Riddle turned his neck, giving us a cold shoulder.

"Devil's Snare," Riddle said, the stone gargoyle got up and hopped off his podium. Riddle moved aside for us to make our way up first, but Yaxley followed his move and waited for Theo and I to pass first. It was like Yaxley was afraid to be ahead of Riddle. His respect went a long way for him.

We walked up the spiral staircase and Riddle knocked on the door with a beat, and I figured it was a code for prefects.

"Come on in," Armando's voice rang.

We entered the large office, which was scarce of furniture besides the portraits of the previous years. I spotted Phineas Nigellus, who strangely looked a lot like Cygnus, then I remembered him briefly speaking of his family line.

Armando Dippet's brows furrowed and he said, "Sit down at once, you three."

He summoned three chairs and I made a seat for myself in the middle, but Theo urged me to move over. Riddle stood beside the Headmaster's desk, glancing at me before setting his eyes on my wand in his hands.

"Riddle, if you could ever be so kind," Dippet started and fixed his spectacles on his nose, "and explain the situation between these three?"

Phineas Nigellus hadn't tried hiding the fact that he was interested in the situation.

"Never in my years of teaching," Phineas Nigellus mumbled. "Never..."

Riddle nodded his head once. "My understanding of this situation is that Miss Locke had gotten upset toward Yaxley and scolded him for his reckless behaviour which had cost the Slytherin quidditch team. Yaxley did not take this scolding politely and made a... rude remark towards Locke, which is when Nott intervened himself and started a physical quarrel."

"What is it he had said?" the Headmaster asked curiously.

"'Looks like it's that time of the month,' was his response after her outlash," Riddle said calmly. It was like he was tattling, but he didn't sound obnoxious at all.

I hadn't noticed how much Riddle knew of the situation since I didn't recall seeing him. It was strange, hearing him explain the situation, as I thought he would balance the scale to Yaxley's benefit instead.

"Yaxley had produced an unknown incantation-"--I was surprised he hadn't caught the incantation either. I figured he would know because he had gotten worked up towards Yaxley. Riddle set down our wands on Dippet's desk.--"onto Nott, causing him to fly across the room. The Bloody Baron arrived and stopped anything else from happening and ordered me to escort them here."