32: Foolish Feelings and Behavior

[victoria's pov]

Luckily by the crack of dawn, Hogwarts gates were open and the corridors were not as crowded. It was a bright Saturday and every student looked forward to it, considering the school year was coming to an end and exams were over.

I didn't go unnoticed though as a huddle of Ravenclaws had already started roaming the castle early like typical. The cold cobblestone travels up my legs as I crawl into the dungeons and back to the common room, where some students laugh and play.

I'm fortunate to not run into anyone as I crept up the stairs. I hear the common room doors open and peep down, spotting Tom entering normally. His hair was damp and a few youngsters watched him as he walked past. I turn my head, ignoring his presence and head towards my dorm.

I hear voices and quickly graph my dorm handle. I turn it. It doesn't budge. I quickly rattle it and sigh with disappointment. Locked. I had left my wand inside since last night as well.

"Alohomora"

I turn my head, my eyes locking with Theo's. His journal's in his hand as he stands there, almost in a dream. He reeks of cigarettes, which was out of character. Perhaps Black had started bad habits?

Startled, I pull the robe over me tighter and cross my arms to prevent my damp clothes from showing. I think of how to thank him, but somehow I can't. Only guilt like never before sets in.

"I kissed another man," I thought.

Even though we weren't together, I never thought I'd do such a thing. What dragged me was if he had found out. If he had thought I moved on so quickly or if he had assumed I ended things only to betray him discreetly. That everything we had was a lie.

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him though," I thought.

My own defence surprises me, but before I can think any further, Theo speaks up.

"You looked like you needed help," Theo commented, then his eyes shrank with a double take as his eyes settled on my lips. "There's fresh blood on the cut of your lips." His tone was fairly flat, but my eyes slightly widened.

"I didn't notice," I lied, sucking the blood on my lips. I could still taste Tom's tender touch.

Theo replied with a simple "Mhm."

His eyes travelled from my head to toe and they rested on my chest. Or, what was rather over them. I look down and see Tom's head boy badge plastered on his robe. As if on cue, Tom appears from the end of the corridor, slowing as he spotted the two of us.

His hands are in his pocket as he comes to a stop. Theo shifts his feet uncomfortably and I slowly shrink, opening my dormitory door to disappear. My eyes meet Tom's and I feel a shade of... anger? Embarrassment? Possibly even flusteredness.

My eyes break away from Tom and they meet Theo's faded blue ones instead.

"Thank you for your help, Theo," I slightly bow myself out of the corridor and quickly shut the door in front of me with a massive exhale.

I stay by the door until the footsteps stop and I step away, heading towards the shower room. I take off Tom's robe, peeling off my dress and stepping into the shower. I feel the water run down my hair and down my spine, trailing down my legs. The hot water soothes my airway as I brush out the sand from my hair. I scrub everywhere. Not to cleanse myself of the blood.

But of his touch.

Tom Riddle's touch.

——————————

I find myself in the same office again. Dumbledore's office. The crimson curtains drawn, the lit candles dancing wildly in the windless room. And the same spooky aura of loneliness never failed to dawn on me until Dumbledore came into the light of the shadows.