2: The Encounter at Wool's Library

[victoria's pov]

The following day seemed to be brighter than yesterday. I was more thrilled about the library itself than the job. I hadn't been to a library in ages; And that doesn't include Hogwarts. I only get my books from the kitchen cookbooks and as gifts.

Though it wasn't a date or something of the like, I wanted to dress my best to give a nice first impression to the caretaker, Ms. Cole. I fixed the ruffles on my dress, made sure not a single strand of hair was out of place, and made sure my face was clean. My wand was tucked in a self-sewn pocket on my dress, by my torso.

"I'll be back by supper!" I cried, rushing out of Feathering's Orphanage and on my way to the one across the street.

I shut the door and a ray of sunshine blinded me. I assumed it was a sign: Today was going to go well. The Feathering's children were repainting the white picket fence, trimming bushes, flying kites, and some were even eating the grass. But on the other side of the street, there were only a few children writing on the sidewalk with chalk.

The moment I crossed the gate to Wool's Orphanage, a woman swung open the door. She looked very professional, her hair in a tight bun, her blouse was stainless, and her black, ankle length skirt was wrapped around her legs. She wore spectacles that hid the colour of her eyes, but I could still feel her sharp glare.

"Good day, Ms. Cole," I said when I neared her.

She looked questioningly at me as if I had offended her. Hot beads of sweat dripped down my neck. Had I said something wrong?

"I am not the caretaker," she said sharply. "And if you must know," she added. "The library could use some tidying."

Just then, another woman, who I assumed was the actual Ms. Cole, showed up. She had greying, blonde hair and wrinkles under her eyes as if she had spent an eternity without sleep. "Oh, you must be Victoria from across the street."

"You're correct. You must be-"

"Ms. Cole, yes. If you could get started right away, that'd be nice." She and the woman moved over and I entered the orphanage. There was a big entrance and a pair of stairs that led up on the right, and there were no children in sight.

"Where're the children?" I asked.

The health inspector left and Ms. Cole shut the door replying, "Almost everyone's indoors studying for tomorrow's summer school exam or just out and about. The library's empty, as no one ever goes in there during the summer. It could really use some cleaning before this school year starts."

"Where can I find it?" I asked politely.

"Just down the hall, turn to the right, and you'll see a pair of tall wooden doors. They're unlocked, open freely to anyone, although there aren't many children who prefer to put the library to use."

I nodded and thanked her, then made my way. The ceilings were so tall, my footsteps echoed loudly. I could hear chatting from down the hall and the kitchens were causing a small racket. It was like a private school. The corridors were much smaller than the rooms. The orphanage was gloomier inside than it was on the outside. Children dressed in bland-coloured uniforms and their skin seemed pale from being inside so much.

Shabby place, I thought. I suddenly felt grateful for being left at Feathering's doorstep.

The corridors to the library seemed to get duller and duller. I was quite amazed by the library view from outside. The window opening on the door showed a very dusty and dim room. My hand reflexively grabbed the door handle. I didn't expect the brass handle to be so cold and the chill through my arm. The door was already slightly opened, I had noticed.