17: Sweet Talk

[victoria's pov]

"That's the sweetest thing I've heard all week," Druella said, "I'm almost jealous of you, Victoria."

We were in Druella's bedroom, on our own beds and speaking of tonight. The three of us wore matching white nightgowns.

Druella had met Cygnus parent's for the first time that night. Along with his sister, Walburga, who was not impressed by Druella until she spoke of her mother's status.

"I see where her priorities lie now," Druella said with a scoff. "She wouldn't shut up as if to compete with my status afterward. Cygnus told her to stop chattering so much or her false teeth would fall out. It's not like she had any, but it was still hilarious to see her fumbled so quickly."

Serenity sounded like she had a better night than Druella. She had gotten to meet the fairy council and was knowledgeable more than any wizard and witch now.

"Apparently, fairies aren't afraid of us," Serenity said. "They just don't prefer to interact with us because we have caused so many wars and no one was there to help defend them when Grindelwald was still at large."

For my entire life that I had known Serenity, she had never wanted to be in a relationship. She was more interested in what the world had to offer.

"Serenity- er, why haven't you wanted a relationship before?" I asked once it had gotten quiet. "You've so free spirited, but I'm curious: haven't you ever craved to be someone's special someone even once?"

Serenity paused and scrunched her nose.

"No," she said.

"Why not?" Druella asked, impressed.

Serenity shrugged and kicked her legs in the air a couple of times.

"I can't imagine having to be committed to someone at this age," Serenity started. "I want to be independent and own a herd of llamas one day in the countryside in retirement, after the big quidditch league life, with whoever chooses to be with me–not with whoever thinks I'm decent. I don't want to look for someone, I need someone to find me eventually–so in the meantime, I'll enjoy company from the thestrals."

"I didn't know you did that," Druella said, looking over at me.

"Neither did I," I said then added, "You sound like a loner, Serenity."

"You know, you're missing out so much for not being able to see them," Serenity said. "Sucks you both missed that day's lesson."

"I don't doubt we'd see them anyway," Druella replied.

Serenity grinned and added, "Besides, how could I be a loner with you guys? My life is complete."

I remembered how Serenity had basically forced us together, but it ended up working.

"Look where we are," Druella said. "We went from being just roommates to sisters!"

Druella's voice cracked.

"Oh, Druella," I said, feeling the lump in my throat. "Don't cry, you're going to make Serenity cry too."

Serenity scrunched her face and threw a pillow in my face.

"I really don't want to ruin my face mask," Druella said, fanning her tears.

We laughed until even after the sun rose.

-------

Need people like this in my life.

Your author, riddlefiqs.

September 18th, 2023