52: Chamber of Death

[victoria's pov]

"There's no way you're seventy years old," Ron says as I finally tell him, Hermione, and Harry about my past. Not about Tom of course.

"Yes way, Ron," Hermione says. "Don't you remember Nicolas Flamel?"

It's been a year since I joined the Order of the Phoenix. I had only showed up occasionally though, not wanting to abandon my relationship with Theo, Ted, and Alex. As far as they knew, I had business trips, which was hard to prove. I didn't even have a job.

Ted had sent me a few letters about his fifth year and his current holidays. I had sent them their own gifts as well as my regards as I was staying at the Grimmauld place during the holidays. Even though it was a shame, it did prove that I was trustworthy enough for Dumbledore to keep around.

I was a simple pawn for now.

But I was also patient.

"Did you play quidditch?" Ron asked. "I swear I could have seen your name somewhere in the records..."

I nodded. "I was Slytherin's team captain in my last year. Played against your grandfather."

"It's not dark magic, is it?" Harry asked, still hanging onto the previous conversation. "Your immortality."

I couldn't find myself to answer.

"You have your father's-"

"Face, I know," Harry interrupted. "I get that a lot."

"I was going to say keenness," I corrected him. "Him and Sirius shared that more than anything else."

With that being said, Srius walked in. He gives me a short smile to which I return.

"Harry, a word," he said and faced Ron. "And your mother wants you upstairs."

Ron groaned and Harry hesitantly stood, unsatisfied with my silence to his question. He and Srius left Hermione and I in a conversation.

"Who's Gwen?" Hermione asked me.

I smiled to myself and responded, "Someone I once knew. You remind me very much of her. She was my mother figure. I didn't have one growing up so she was the closest thing I had to a sister besides two others."

Hermione's curious eyes lit just as Gwen's did when I used to tell her intriguing stories.

"Serenity Viridian and Drella Black."

"Oh, I've heard of Serenity Viridian!" she exclaimed. "Her parents are one of the few families who formed a bond with the Gringotts goblin family! And her disappearance is recorded in the prefect archives at Hogwarts... Whatever happened to her?"

My mouth grew sandy at this question.

"I- uh, she died," I said. "In an accident that was covered up."

"Oh my, how horrible," she said quietly. "I'm sorry about her death, but I hope you are still able to look at her the same way when you think of her."

"I'm glad she's at peace now," I said. "Considering what's going on with the rest of the world..."

"It's maddening how ignorant the ministry is, ignoring he-who-must-no-be-named's existence!" she exclaims.

I almost chuckle at the sound of Tom's new bold names.

"What is it?" she asks.

"It's nothing," I said. "It's just- I still find it hard to believe how much people avoid his name."

She raises her brow slightly at me and asks, "Did you know him before he became 'the dark lord?'"

Her curiosity seems pure and nothing more. She's genuinely curious as she's almost in disbelief and the aspect of trust in her is strong, again reminding me of someone I once knew.