26. Lion's Den

'When I was still a boy before they cut my balls off with a hot knife I traveled with a group of actors through the free cities they taught me that each man has a role to play the same is true at court. I am the master of whispers. I am a good actor my Lord.'

'Can you free me from this pit?' ned spat.

'I could but will I? No. As I said I'm no hero.' Varys reminded him.

'What do you want? no riddles no stories tell me what you want?' Ned begged

'Please do you know that your son is marching south with an army of Northman?' He said kneeling before him 'fighting for his father's freedom'

'Robb, he's just a boy.' Ned muttered.

'Boys have been conquerors before but the man giving Cersei the keys is the Kingdom... the Brothers ban together with Stannis. He has the best claimed to the throne he's a battle commander and he is-'

'Renly doesn't think so.' Ned remarked

'Sansa and Rieka pleaded so sweetly for your life it would be a shame to throw it away." Varys remarked. Ned couldnt picture that. Rieka was not one to beg she was one to fight. She must truly be scared. Ned hated that she was here and not safe in winterfell, that he couldnt protect his daughters.  "Cersei is no fool she knows a Wolf is useful to her more alive, than a dead one.' Varys went on.

'Do you want me to serve the woman who killed my king? who butchered my men? who crippled my son?' ned questioned incredulously.

'I want you to serve the realm.' he shouted 'tell the queen you will confess your vile treason and tell your son to lay down his sword and proclaim Joffrey as the true heir that he is. Cersei knows you as a man of honor if you give her the peace she needs and promise to carry her secret to the grave I believe she will allow you to take the black and allow you to live out your days there with your bastard son.' Varys informed him.

'You think my life is some precious thing to me? That I would trade my honor for a few more years... Of what? You grew up with actors you learn the craft and you learned well.' Ned told him 'but I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago.'

'Pity,' varys said 'such a pity. what of your daughters life.... my Lord? is that a precious thing to you?''

"You think Joffrey will agree?" Rieka questioned. 

"Yes. Because your father will confess and that will be the end of it." Cersei agreed. "He will be sent to the wall with your half brother, the Snow." 

"Jon." Rieka corrected. 

"He will get to be with family, you understand." Cersei assured. 

"Any word on Arya?" Rieka questioned as they walked. 

"No. None." Cersei corrected. 

"I hope she keeps running." Rieka whispered as she moved to sansa's side. But then she saw Ned. She pulled from Sansa and her guards and hugged Ned tight through his chains he tried to hold her. 

"Rieka." Ned whispered kissing her cheek. 

"Daddy I'm scared." Rieka whispered. "This place, these people, I dont trust them." 

"I know baby, but its going to be over soon." Ned assured. 

"Dont do anything you dont want to, dont lie. Your word will be seen as truth." Rieka reminded him. "I dont know what Joffrey is capable of. I dont want to lose you. I know dont what vicious little boys like him are capable of." Rieka whispered kissing his cheek he felt her tears as Sandor pulled her back. "I love you."

"I love you, Rieka." Ned called back. 

"Don't run girl." Sandor instructed. Rieka stared back at Sandor with teary eyes as Ned stepped forward. "Don't cry. I hate when little girls cry." Sandor grumbled. 

"I'm not a little girl."

"That makes it worse." Sandor grumbled. Riekas gaze turned to her father again. 

'I am Eddard Stark. Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King." Ned looked to sansa. Sandor kept a hand on Rieka to keep her from running but she wasn't going to run. Ned let out a sigh as Sansa's eyes pleaded with him. Rieka tried to be brave. She tried but silent tears fell from her cheeks as she held tight to sansa's hand. This was the end of Eddard Stark as they knew it, Rieka felt it she wanted to run now, to find Arya and never look back but her feet were rooted in their spot.

"I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of gods and men. I betrayed the faith of my King and the trust of my friend Robert. I swore to protect and defend his children. But before his blood was cold I plotted to murder his son and seize the throne for myself." the crowd started yelling at him again, some throwing rocks at his head. Rieka cringed, more tears falling, her father was a good man, honorable and brave, she couldn't lose him. Her father was her favorite person in the whole world, she couldnt lose him. Ned looked to Rieka holding her gaze before catching joffreys sneer. 

"Let the high septon and Baelor the blessed bear witness to what I say. Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne by the grace of all the Gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and protector of the Realm."  Ned declared. The crowd once again started yelling at him. Sansa looked to Joffrey hopefully. Rieka felt no hope though.

But Rieka kept her gaze on Ned. He was lying to try and save his head to keep them from losing a father. But Sandor's words rung out in Rieka's head. He knew what Joffrey was going to do. Rieka felt Sandors grip on her tighten as her knees threatened to give way.

"As... As we sin...' pycelle continued seeing Joffrey loving the attention. 'So do we suffer. This man has confessed his crimes in sight of Gods and men. The Gods are just but beloved Baelor taught us they can also be merciful. What is to be done with this traitor, Your Grace?" Pycelle turned to Joffrey. Joffrey waved a hand settling the crowd.

"My mother wishes me to let Lord Eddard join the Night's Watch. Stripped of all titles and powers he would serve the realm in permanent exile. And my Lady Sansa and Rieka have begged mercy for their father." He turned to look at Sansa she smiled just slightly at Joffrey. Rieka couldnt look away from her fathers handsome face. "But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am Your King treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!" Rieka tugged but sandor held her back.

"NO!" she screamed as the crowd erupted into cheers. Sansa lunged forward but Meryn grabbed her, keeping her back. 'No, no, no.' she sobbed trashing in Sandor's grasp. Ned looked to her again, an apologetic look on his face, he couldnt save them, he had failed them, leaving them alone in the lions den.

 "FATHER!" Rieka screamed out. As the sword was brought above his head, a single motion, swish, it was through his neck. Ned's head lay on the ground. Joffrey smiled down to it. Cersei stood confused as Sansa sobbed for her father, pulling at Meryn's arms. Rieka dropped to her knees unable to believe what her eyes were seeing, her vision soon clouded with tears.

It was all she could do to not rip Joffrey's head off right then and there.

"Hound. Do me the honor." Joffrey demanded. Sandor pulled away from Rieka as she shook curled up on the ground. Sandor picked up Ned's head for all to see. 

Ned Stark was dead.