21. Checkmate

'You are in pain.' Cersei noted coming up to ned in the gardens.

''I have had worse your grace.' Ned informed her.

'Perhaps it's time to go home the south does not seem to agree with you.' Cersei said calmly her eyes veering away from Arya and Rieka, Arya loved that Avalon was here, Ned worried they would have her killed but so far they were focused on other things besides killing wolves. 

'I know the truth.' Ned told her 'the truth Lord Arryn died for.'

'Do you Lord stark? Is that why you called me here... to pose for riddles?' cersei questioned with a laugh.

'Has he done this before?' Ned asked pointing to his cheek a bruise forming on Cersei's own cheek.

'Jaime would've killed him if he had. My brother is worth 1000 of your friend.' Cersei snapped.

'Your brother? Or your lover?' Ned offered

'Targaryen's wed brothers and sisters for thousands of years to keep the bloodline pure.' Cersei reminded him 'Jaime and I am more than brother and sister we share the womb came into this world together we belong together.'

Ned thought of his own twins. Robb and Rieka but his children were good and honorable. Rieka wasnt like Cersei.

''My son saw you with him....''

''Do you love your children?'

''With all my heart.' Ned answered. his gaze shifting to RIeka again, why didnt she stay away where she was safer? Why come here, it couldnt be just for him... but of course it was, she didnt give him a proper goodbye and didnt want to ever say goodbye, she hated goodbyes. 

"As do I."

"And they are all Jaimes."

 Nail in coffin.

"Thank the Gods for that." Cersei agreed. 

Game, set, match. 

"In the rare event that Robert leaves his whores for long enough to stumble drunk into my bed, I finish him off in other ways. In the morning, he doesn't remember."

"You've always hated him." Ned offered.

"Hated him?" she scoffed. " I worshiped him. Every girl in the Seven Kingdoms dreamed of him, but he was mine by oath. And when I finally saw him on our wedding day in the Sept of Baelor, lean and fierce and black-bearded, it was the happiest moment of my life. Then that night he crawled on top of me, stinking of wine and did what he did, what little he could do, and whispered in my ear, "Lyanna". Cersei seethed. "Your sister was a corpse and I was a living girl and he loved her more than me."

He saw the hatred in her eyes, Cersei pretended she didnt care and maybe she didnt but the little girl that wanted to be a princess, she cared and she was still broken a little bit.

"When the King returns from his hunt, I'll tell him the truth." Ned declared. "You must be gone by then. You and your children. I will not have their blood on my hands. Go as far away as you can, with as many men as you can. Because wherever you go, Robert's wrath will follow you." Cersei shook her head, this man was unbelievable.

He forgot who held the true power here. 

"And what of my wrath, Lord Stark? You should have taken the realm for yourself. Jaime told me about the day King's Landing fell." Cersei remarked. "He was sitting in the Iron Throne and you made him give it up. All you needed to do was climb the steps yourself.... Such a sad mistake."

"I've made many mistakes in my life, but that wasn't one of them." Ned corrected.

"Oh, but it was." Cersei countered. "When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Checkmate.

+

"Ned! It's Robert. We were hunting...a boar..." Renly declared. Ned saw the fear in Renly's eyes and Ned made his way to Roberts chambers.

Inside Robert's room, Cersei, Joffrey, Barristan Selmy and Maester Pycelle are all present. Robert spoke to joffrey, whom was sitting beside him.

"I should have spent more time with you, shown you how to be a man." Robert remarked. "I was never meant to be a father...." Joffrey stared back at him. "Go on. You don't want to see this." Joffrey nodded looking to his mother before heading out. "My fault. Too much wine, missed my thrust." Robert offered. "It stinks. It stinks like death. Don't think I can't smell it." he added looking to Ned as he came in behind Cersei. "I paid the bastard back, Ned. I drove my knife right through his brain. You ask them if I didn't. Ask them!" Ned stayed silent and Cersei played the loving wife. "I want the funeral feast to be the biggest the Kingdoms ever saw. And I want everyone to taste the boar that got me. Now leave us, the lot of you. I need to talk to Ned."

"Robert, my sweet..." Cersei corrected.

"Out, all of you!" Robert snapped and Cersei dropped the act as she headed out. As soon as the door shuts, Ned shouted out to Robert.

"You damned fool."

"You think he is going to die?"  Arya questioned. 

"I think the queen would like that." Rieka agreed. 

"What would I like?" Cersei questioned. 

"A peaceful death in his sleep, your grace." Rieka answered. "He is in so much suffering right now." Cersei grimaced back at her. "The maesters had more hope for my brother Brandon." 

"How is he?" Cersei pondered. 

"Strangest thing, he doesnt remember a thing." Rieka remarked. "But Tyrion was sweet before mother lost her damn mind, had a design for a saddle for him. I can picture him riding now..." 

"Tyrion has his... moments." Cersei agreed. 

"Should I say sorry for your loss now?" Rieka mused. 

"Not necessary." Cersei assured kissing both Rieka's cheeks. "We both know no one is going to grieve that cunts death." Cersei whispered and Rieka chuckled. 

"Well said your grace." Rieka agreed. Sansa looked between them curiously. 

"Excuse me, ladies." 

"What was that?" Sansa questioned.