Chapter 5: I'm still hoping.

Maybellen

Zach dropped me back home after that brief emotional scene I had there. Look, sometimes I just cry because of stress and it's okay.

Ish...

I walk inside my house with the grocery bags and quickly dropped them sprinting to my room. As soon as I unlocked the door, I noticed Carlo sleeping on my bed. No wonder why he wasn't picking up my calls. I gently closed the door and entered the bathroom grabbing the broom.

I plugged my headphones in and started playing my playlist. I love music. It helps me stay sane and calm.

Okay, let me tell you my 3 top songs. Number 3 is A Pearl by Mitski, Number 2 is Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez, and Number 1 is Black Out Days by Phantogram.

Black Out Days is a beautiful creation, and the lyrics basically describe my life. Well kinda, I'm not completely sure.

I finished sweeping the second floor, and now I'm on the first floor.

Alcohol envelopes my nose as I stare at the 9 alcohol bottles and 3 different pill bottles on the counter. I blink away from my tears. I'll eventually stop crying about that.

I got a plastic bag and grabbed all the junk and mess. I dropped the bag in the corner and started sweeping again. I wiped the sweat away from my forehead and looked over to check the clock.

Oh my goodness, it's already 5:20 pm, and I still have to mop the floors.

I groan and I fix the pillows on the couch, and I see my dad walking downstairs.

"You're still not finished cleaning? You piece of sh-" My Dad angrily told me as he was about to hit me but stopped himself.

"You're lucky I'm trying to be considerate today because a bruise by your eyes would look nice on you," he spat at me, kicking the garbage bag and smirking.

He looked at me with a cold, menacing glint in his eyes. I shivered in fear. It's okay Maybellen, calm down. I plucked my finger skin, and I peel it.
✰✰✰
I finished cleaning the entire house. I'm so tired. I already took a shower and got ready but I don't want to leave Calo by himself.

I called Zee. Yes, that's my new nickname for him.

✯✯

"Yes?" Zee spoke on the phone.

"Um, I was wondering if I could bring my little brother. I don't want him to stay alone with my parents because they're a little mad right now," I stammered.

He sighed, "Okay, I'll come to pick you up, be there in 5," he told me then hung up the phone.

~~

I grabbed Carlo and picked him up grabbing his tablet and walking out the door. I walked into Zach's car and sat down with Calo on my lap.

"Hi," Calo giggled at Zee.

"Hi fratellino," (Hi little bro)

Calo giggled again and I smiled, "Thank you, Zee."

"I only did this because I wanted you to come and get us an A," he rolled his eyes.

Rude flop.

"I'm hungry," Calo whispered to Zee.

"Really? Because I have a bunch of candy, snacks, and food," Zee whispered back to him.

Calo squealed as he started clapping his hands. Calo jumped up and down in excitement, his eyes twinkling with delight. Zee smiled.

Wow, Zachary surprises me every day, he just smiled.