Chapter 6: Ginger Cat

✿𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧✿
I sat on Zach's couch and stuffed my face with his snacks. Although I felt guilty, I could not resist.

I honestly wonder where his dad is. I mean he is only a senior in high school and he's 18.

My phone starts ringing and I groan because my phone is all the way in the dining room. I don't feel like getting up, it's way too far.  I placed my popcorn bowl on the couch and walked over to pick up my phone.

It was Zach. Why is he calling me, but he's upstairs?

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Go shopping or make friends, I'm tryna bring some girls over," He replied to me.

Oh, my lawdy. Why is he like this?

"Zach, I don't have the money to go shopping," I grumbled and I sat back on this couch again.

"My card has money, and the funny thing is it has no limits," he replied.

I heard someone at the door. I get up and walk towards the front door. I peek through the hole and see a ginger cat.

A small cat.

"Um, there's a cat by the front door, and it's so cute!" I excitedly told him while grinning.

"Don't bring it inside," he sighed.

I slowly open the door and the cat meows, walking towards me. It's so small and adorable! I think it's a kitten, maybe, I'm a little dumb.

"Zee come downstairs, this cat is so cute!" I exclaimed as I knelt to pet it.

Zach hangs up the phone and I hear footsteps coming from upstairs.

Let's just say he isn't very happy about my decision. He used some nasty words towards me but it's okay. It's not like someone hasn't said them to me before.

"Why are you touching that? What if it has fucking rabies?" he retorted and he quickly rushed towards me slapping my hand. He was clearly more agitated than I expected.

As the kitten walked into the house, I pushed Zach back because the cat need to feel welcome. V.I.P. access over here.

"Hello! This poor baby needs to be checked, I don't want him to stay alone. It's sure to get cold when it snows, it's going to get soaked when it rains, and it's going to be dehydrated when it's hot." I quivered, staring at the ginger cat.

"Tell the girls not to come over, and let's go to the vet somewhere," I decided as I put my hoodie on.

Zach exhales and he grabs my hoodie sleeve. "Look, I don't want a damn cat and I don't want to help it," he insists.

What type of human being doesn't want to help an adorable cat? He's a horrible human being. I shake my arm for him to let go, and I grab one of his blankets and wrap the kitten in it.

"Shit, now I have to throw that blanket out!" He grumbled.

I look at him, and so does the kitten too and we stay silent while looking at him.

The cat whimpers as its tail raises. Even the cat is becoming sad from all the negativity Zachary holds. It's so uncomfortable, such a disgrace.

He grabs his keys and takes a jacket off the couch and he slips on Jordan's shoes.

"YAY!" I yelled.

✰✰✰
We're in the car and Zee is driving to a pet shelter. He's gripping that steering wheel a little bit to hard, his hands are turning white.

Anyways, I realized that he has been saying more than 8 words now. Instead, he says 1-18 words. He's improving and I'm very proud of him.

"Zachie, can you hold the cat?" I asked him.

"Fuck no, I'm not touching that rabies bi-" he sneered but I placed the cat on his lap.

His eyes twitched as the cat meowed at him. He looked at me, gritting his teeth, gripping the steering wheel even harder.

He needs to calm down when he's driving with me in this damn car.

"I swear Maybellen you're really trying me right now," he seethed.

"Why the fuck do you have my hoodie on?" he asked me.

Oh yeah, his hoodies are my hoodies, I forgot to tell him that.

He reaches for my hand and holds it while his other hand on the steering wheel.

I blushed and looked at our hands on my lap.

That's a pretty star tattoo on his hand.

☆☆☆

After we got there, the cat got an examination, a few shots, a clean-up, some food, and flea treatment.

We found out it was a boy! I have a perfect name for him. El Gato!

"Zachary, can you please adopt him?" I sweetly asked him while we were in the waiting area.

"I don't even like cats," he mumbled.

"Please, I'll take care of it!" I begged, shaking his body.

He massages his forehead with his thumb as he watches Netflix on his phone. I look over to see what he was watching. Some anime show but I don't know what it was because I'm just me.

I put my head on his shoulder and I put my arm around his.

"Please, Zachary?" I whispered.

He ignores me and continued watching his show, raising the volume up.

"Zachary," I mumbled.

"Fuck, okay I'll get it," he reluctantly responded.

I screeched as I hugged Zach's arm, but he covered my mouth. He whispered in my ear, "Don't be so loud." I nodded, my heart racing.

Why does he do the craziest things to me?

✯✯✯

Zach applied to adopt the kitten, but it will take at least 7-9 days to take him home. However, he can start registering the new cat.

After 4 hours, we are finally done and we walk out the door. I got a tiny lollipop from one of the workers and Zee didn't get any. He's such a fat loser.

It's pitch black, and I can't see very well, all I hear is Zach's footsteps in the silent night.

"Zee, I can't see well in the dark. Where did you go?" I called him.

"Shut up," He groaned and he grabbed my hand. He pulled me forward and I stumbled after him.

For some reason, I felt butterflies in my stomach, and I became flustered as he put his arm around my shoulder. Calm down Maybellen, he is just making sure you are safe.

We can't be together.

We are nothing alike.

~~

ఌꨄ❦

ఌꨄ❦