Liam infection on Niall's birthday

Ages
Niall- 30
Liam- 29
Luna- 5
Oscar- 1
—————————————————————————

Liam's pov

It is Niall's birthday today. I got released from the hospital just under a week ago. Niall has been worrying about me. My mum and dad stayed for 3 days after I left the hospital but then they had to head home. Niall's mum and dad arrived yesterday to celebrate Niall's birthday with us. I am awake. I can't sleep. It is about 2am. I have been in a bit of pain when something touches my back. We have been cleaning the wound as the doctor showed Niall. I roll off my back accidentally waking up Niall. He asks "Love are you alright?" I shrug and say "My back hurts" I feel my bottom lip trembling. Niall rubs my back and says "Let's have a look babe. You also feel really warm baby. I will go and get the thermometer once I have checked your back. Where does it hurt babe?" I say "Where I had my surgery" Niall stands up and turns on our light. We both wince at the brightness and allow our eyes to adjust to the light.

Niall comes back over to the bed and says "Lay on your tummy babe. I will check your back." I nod and carefully lay on my stomach. Niall lifts up the back of my top and unwraps the bandage he gasps. I say "What is everything alright?" Niall says "Do not look at your back. I am going to get my mum to come and have a look as a second opinion to what I think that is." I feel Niall cover my wound up with another bandage so I can't look. He says "I'll be back in a minute" I nod.

Niall's pov

I rush into the spare room and shake my mum. I say "Mum, mum wake up" her eyes open and says "Niall it is 2 in the morning. Why are you waking me up now? Don't you dare say it is because it is your birthday." I say "No it is much more serious than that. I think Liam's surgical wound is infected. I would like another opinion before I take him to the hospital" my mum is instantly up and says "Yes that is definitely much more serious. Alright I'm coming." I nod and we leave the room. I quickly grab the thermometer on my way back to my room.

We walk into mine and Liam's room again and I see Liam on the bed crying in pain. I sit on the bed next to Liam and say "Hey it's alright baby" my mum says "I'm going to take off that bandage" I nod and my mum takes off the bandage. She says "That definitely looks infected. Liam can I gently touch places on your back is that alright?" Liam nods and my mum gently touches places on Liam's back. She starts to get closer to the surgical wound and where it is bright red. She says "his skin is getting hot to touch." She gently touches where most of the redness is. Liam arches his back and cries out in pain. I say "Hey baby. You are alright." Liam slowly starts to clam down and my mum says "That is most definitely infected." I say "I don't know how though. We have been so careful to make sure we clean the wound everyday as to the doctor's instructions" my mum nods and says "I know you do Niall." I nod.

I say to Liam "I'm going to check your temperature" Liam nods. I put the thermometer in Liam's ear and press the button. Once the thermometer beeps I take it out of his ear and say  "39.6. We need to get you to the hospital babe." Liam starts crying again. I say "Hey what's wrong?" He responds "I don't want to go to the hospital" I say "I know you don't Li but we need to get you some antibiotics." Liam says "I don't want antibiotics." I respond "I know you don't babe. But you need antibiotics to feel better" Liam nods sadly. My mum says "Get him to the hospital. Your dad and I will stay here with the kids" I nod and she leaves the room. I put a bandage over Liam's wound and say "Come on then babe. Let's go and get you some antibiotics to feel better" Liam nods and I help him to stand up.

I help Liam downstairs. I sit him on the sofa and say "I'm just going to get our shoes." Liam nods. I go and get our shoes and go back to Liam. I say to him "Come on then love. Let's get your shoes on yeah." Liam looks up at me with tears in his eyes. I ask "Hey what's wrong?" He responds "I'm really cold but feel hot at the same time and my back really hurts" I say "Oh you poor thing. Let's get you checked out" Liam nods and I put on his shoes and then I put on mine. I help Liam out to the car and I help him to sit in the car. He arches his back when the seat comes into contact with his skin and he cries out in pain. I pout and say "Oh Liam. Let's get you strapped in then we can get your back checked out" Liam nods and I help him to strap in before I get in myself.