Awful things

Zak insisted to drive me in my car to the Hotel while Aaron was driving my things to a storage unit. It was getting pretty late already and this would indeed be way faster. In reality i didn't need him to drive me there, i was very capable myself, but he said that i was too stressed to drive. I do not know where this kindness was coming from, maybe he was just finally happy in life and in result he treated others more kindly. The only suitable hotel available was a 20 minute drive from my apartment. It started off very quiet. Zak cleared his throat and spoke up.
"So you don't want to rethink Aaarons invite? I'm sure staying there would be better than a hotel."
"I did think about it but i can't, he has done so much for me already that i am no longer allowed to accept any favors from that man" i laughed
"We all owe Aaron the world. Hey ,it's his birthday next month, we should make something special for him" he suggested.
"Oh we need to, i 'm sure that he would love a simple fishing or a camping trip, don't you think?" i asked
"That would be perfect for him. You remember Lake Mead? That could be a great spot." he said enthusiastically.
"No but that place would literally be perfect, besides do you remember the little boats? He would love those too!" I said.
"I know, he would look so funny in those, even you did and you are not nearly as tall" Zak laughed and so did i until our laugh died down. It was silence, maybe because we had covered the topic or maybe we were both having flashbacks from when we went there for a weekend, just the two of us. It was back when it was all hearts and roses, before any troubles, Just pure love and quality time, Memories like that were engraved into my heart just as deep as the bad ones, unfortunately. The silence was disturbed by a call from his babe. He considered picking up, but it would mean that she'd be on the speaker and i ' m sure that he didn't want another phone call eavesdropped. He cleared his throat again.
"I can close my ears if you want me to" i suggested before the ringing stopped.
"No ,i'll call back when i get home" he mumbled.
"Haven't you two moved in together? " i asked. I just needed to know how serious was it.
"She wants to but i think that i need some more time to really know her" he explained.
:"Well if it feels right then you should, if it doesn't then let her know. Be straightforward with her, i 'm sure that she will appreciate that" i said.
"Thanks, ill keep that in mind." he said. To avoid another awkward silence, i turned on the radio. It was an old song but it was gold, i turned it up even higher ans started singing along.

"Oh, the wind whistles down
The cold dark street tonight
And the people, they were dancing
To the music vibe "

I sang out loud, he smiled in amusement and joined me

''And the boys chase the girls with curls in their hair
While the shy tormented youth sit way over there
And the songs get louder each one better than before"

I did a little drum solo on my legs and we hit the chorus together.

"And you're singing the songs thinking this is the life
And you wake up in the morning and your head feels twice the size
Where you gonna go, where you gonna go, where you gonna sleep tonight?
And you're singing the songs thinking this is the life,,,,"

The song faded in the background as time seemed to slow. His smile and his glowing eyes, the wind in his hair and his hand on the gear shift. His cologne and the stubble on his cheeks. I just could not stop smiling. This moment felt so pure, so beautiful and so right. I caught his eyes on me too but it felt like not enough .I wanted more, i wanted to know that he still sees me right here with him. To be fair he had to keep them on the road. It was time to blast the chorus again so I snapped out of it. We drove off into the twilight, had it been sunset i would have lost it.

We arrived at the hotel and as we got out of the car we both still had a small smile on our lips. What a blessing to have your apartment flooded by crackheads and to have your ex show up and wind up old feelings. I headed to the reception to check in while Zak took my suitcases that I had packed. He was a gentleman , he really was and I couldn't understand if he had been like this the whole time or is he just doing it now. He kindly helped me bring them up to my room as well. I had played out about a million scenarios in my head about what could happen, but this was neither of them.
"Do you mind if i come in and wait for Aaron to pick me up?". He asked as i opened the doors. Now i knew that he wanted to spend time with me. This man had well enough money to get a taxi, I'd say even enough to buy a new car then and there, he did not need to wait for Aaron at all. This man was confusing.
"Sure ,make yourself comfortable " i said, but he did not sit down, He just stood there leaning his back on the closed door with his arms crossed. Not looking, but staring at me. I pretended not to notice.
"Might as well make it feel like home, its going to be a long stay " i said and started replacing the paintings with my own. At Least the few that were rescued from the flood.
"Why don't you paint anymore?" he asked. I didn't even look at him ,i didn't trust myself to.
"I just have not felt like it lately , i converted to music. But i'm sure i will when i find my muse again," i laughed.
" Well, let me know when you find it because i was wondering if you could make one for me? " he asked.
"I mean sure ,why not, just give me the details like what size or colors you want or-"
"I want it the same.I want it to be like that one" He said. I shot him a look and raised an eyebrow,
"Well , weren't you quite optimistic about it surviving the moisture?" i teased
"Well in case it doesnt .I'd love to have it " he said. I felt frusterated with him.
"I mean, it was there for years, why didnt you take it when you had the chance , Zak? " i asked.
"The value of memories i guess " he said. What the fuck does that even mean? There was a moment of silence before i decided that this needs to stop.
"Zak, i think you should leave" i said as i turned around to face him.
"Sure" he said in a quiet voice and rubbed his face in his palms. He looked back at me before exiting as if he was waiting for me to run after him and change my mind.
"Well i guess that i will see you tomorrow" he said.
"Tomorrow? What's tomorrow?" I asked. We had nothing planned as far as i could remember..
" The fundraiser" he said with confusion.
"Oh that's right, sorry, see you" i said. He mumbled something under his nose, i guess it was goodbye, and left.
The thing is that the fundraiser event we had been invited to was announced 3 months ago and obviously i forgot.