30. the seal of forgiveness

30 | "So, whenever we fight, let's settle it now: you're always right

30 | "So, whenever we fight, let's settle it now: you're always right."

It was 9:30 PM

It was 9:30 PM. I rejected dinner from the Lees because I was desperate to speak with Heeseung, sitting in their backyard and swinging on their bench. When Heeseung said an hour, he must've meant five hours. How much longer should I wait? Dad and Mom must be worried, or not because they'll just be all lovey-dovey anyway.

In my hands, I hold the picture of us, trying to stop myself from crying every time I look down at it. All I can think of is us, nothing else, and it runs on my mind endlessly. Although I should be worried about why I'm this way, all I want is for him to give me a real answer to my final question: Are we okay?

I sit on the patio, swinging, kicking pebbles that blow by. Finally, I hear a door open, and Yuri's frantic screams, with silence left behind. Of course, it was inaudible, whether or not I was refusing to hear. My heart tightens knowing it was time to face him, and as minutes pass by, I become hesitant: why wasn't he coming out?

He must've realized that I stole his picture of us. Surely, that'll make him come out, right?

I hear Yuri screaming again, which signals that he was back in the living room. I decide to listen closely, hearing her say, "She was crying because of you! Do you know how long she's been waiting for you!?"

Good job at embarrassing me, Yuri. Although you are my best friend for eternity, I will never get over how I can't tell you a secret.

Ever.

The backdoor opens, and I gulp. I look to the right, the vacant spot on my left being filled up by him. He begins to put his feet on the floor, rocking us back and forth, allowing my legs to sit up comfortably. Then, he places the promposal board on the chair in front of us, the bear sitting on top for equilibrium. Of course, it sits and gawks at me like a fool, making me regret being foolish and cringy.

"Hand me the photo."

My heart drops. So, that's how it is. Words are left unsaid. The tears pool in my eyes once more as I stare at the bear, passing him the frame without looking. God damn this promposal thing. How do people even face public rejection when they do it?! I can't even face it in private!